Glad to be here

• Are you able to try on foot pockets? If not read Dans thread about sizing them and all the reviews. The way your fins fit and feel may well be the most important dive gear

There is a bubbler shop in Gainesville. Not sure what he sells but I will check it out and also read Dan 's thread.

• Are you at uf? They have a LOT of clubs. I am sure there is a diving and a free diving club. Probably a spearo club too.

When I was there ages ago there was a few dive clubs.

i like to spear fish

• Walk over to Reitz and through the square at Turlington. I would even make a flyer and a Facebook page if you really want to. There are thousands of South Floridians there who would love to do some pool training and talk diving

i like to spear fish

• How far out do you have to go at cedar key before there is any viz? The couple of times I've been out there it's been chocolate milk.

• Out and it is still like 4-9 feet of water. I have no idea where I was but we had like ten people being pulled by skis and got our gallon shucked each in about 50 minutes. We ate a lot of scallops that night and did it again the next day before heading back to school
    Viz was bad until we got about 15 minutes out. Then it opened up to about 9 ft. Plenty to find scallops

i like to spear fish

• Nice. A guy I work with is trying to get his pontoon boat ready. If not I have a bass boat in the shop that'll be done soon. Might give it a go at cedar with that.

• A computer is not an essential piece of gear. Not one of the best spearos I know uses a computer.

I use one. And love it! :laughing:

But it is in no way an essential equipment. ;)

I would advise you to get the following gear (in this same order):

.- A black skirt freediving mask that fits perfectly on your face (you have to try several models at the store). Don't buy the newest/fanciest one. Not even the lowest volume. This one looks good to me, but you must test it in your face. Speardiver Stealth spearfishing & freediving mask
    .- A simple, comfortable freediving snorkel (no valve or bling-blings). Like this: Speardiver Freediving Snorkel
    .- Diving neoprene socks. I like double lined neoprene, not open cell like the ones Dan sells, but it is a personal prefference.
    .- Plastic interchangable blades freediving fins. You can later upgrade to carbon blades. Go to a phisical store and try different footpockets (whit your socks on!).
    . A rubber weight belt with the proper amount of lead. This is tricky and varies from one person to the other depending on your body mass, diving depth and if you're wearing a wetsuit or not.

With these (and a long sleeve rashguard and board shorts), you can go out and enjoy being in the water.

Then I would get (in this same order):

.- A railgun. Depending on the visibility and your size, will be the size of the gun. A 110 is a good starter for Florida waters. I have used and like this one: Speardiver Phantom Speargun
    .- A float and floatline. I ilke 100 ft or more, but you can probably get away a 50' floatline.
    .- Depending on your waters temperatures a full (hooded) spearfishing rashguard or a 3 mm open cell neoprene spearfishing wetsuit.

THEN, you can get a computer. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.