Glad to be here

• hello everyone. I recently moved to north central florida from Colorado. I have been diving the springs in the area and have been acquiring the gear to start spearfishing. So i am a total newbie and welcome all advice.

• Welcome, I was reading your other posts... If you are already comfortable at 35 ft very little we can help you with, you need to listen to your body and hook up with a more experienced diver to help you work on your form, weight and technique. But you are already there if you can shoot a fish in 35 foot of water.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Welcome, I was reading your other posts... If you are already comfortable at 35 ft very little we can help you with, you need to listen to your body and hook up with a more experienced diver to help you work on your form, weight and technique. But you are already there if you can shoot a fish in 35 foot of water.

thanks
    I can dive in a spring to 35'. I have yet to shoot a fish and im sure its a little different.how will the spring diving translate to open water? I just wasnt wanting to bite off more then i can chew and end up being a pain in someones backside.

• Welcome!
    Spring as in pond/lake? You'll need more weight for the salt water and the waves and currents take some getting to know. If your doing 35' with out fins your doing great and a good set of fins will only do wonders for your dives.

• Thanks! Springs as in natural freshwater springs\caves in florida. Thanks for the info. Should fins come before dive computer?

• Thanks! Springs as in natural freshwater springs\caves in florida. Thanks for the info. Should fins come before dive computer?

1. Fins first. Hook up with this store. They have everything you will need, very knowledgable and personal service. Spearfishing gear, freediving fins, wetsuit, speargun, polespear, mask. Fort Lauderdale shop serving Miami, West Palm Beach.
    2. Welcome to THE BEST freedive spearfishing forum ever. Many great spearos here with lots of experience that like to help. Also please to use the search button upper right corner.

3. PS---be VERY careful freediving those springs. There have been many DEADLY reasons that some of those springs are named Hospital Hole, Devils Eye, Devil's Den, Vortex, etc.
    hope this helps

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 6 times, last by hau ().

• some ideas for fins, well like Hau suggested try our host Dan for good gear at competitive prices...but some alternatives are always helpful for you to gauge the market and help you make informed decisions. For fins you should start with "relativity" cheap plastic freediving fins before you go to deep into your pockets. Have a look at these to give you a starting place.
    OMER Stingray Fins
    Beuchat Entry Level Spearfishing Fins | Neptonic Systems
    Spearfishing-Shop - Apnoeflossen - Flossen Imersion E:Black
    Mask is critical and I would seriously recommend going to see Dan to try on various masks to get your fit down pact, BUT MOST important is weights and weight advice...this done wrong will kill you!!! So talk to Dan and buy the right safe belts and start light!! Guns are personal preference, so is the way you choose to rig your gun... would recommend a 90-120 pipe gun to start and ask others you will eventually dive with to try their guns.

George Steele

• Welcome to Speardiver.

What makes you think you need a computer to dive and spear fish?

Honestly, all I have to go off of is what I've read which has been a mix of freediving and spearo. I don't know anyone to learn from. In Colorado I was an avid hunter and fly fisherman. I moved here about a year ago and have fallen in love with the water and see it as a way to merge all of my passions together. So the answer to why I think I need a computer for spearfishing? I read it somewhere that it is an essential piece of safety equipment. And since I am new to life in the water I have been focusing on the diving aspect so I can hunt safely.
    Sorry for being so long winded.

• A computer is not an essential piece of gear. Not one of the best spearos I know uses a computer. I wouldn't wear one if it was free, not even to replace a watch because I know I'll end up looking at it too much to see depth etc. when my focus should be on other things. I assumed you read it online and was interested specifically where you read it and who said it, so I can laugh at them (on the inside of course).

• I miss my dive watch, I find it very helpful but my diving sucks ass so I will lol at myself :D
    I just remembered Red Tide wears one :laughing:

George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().

• Are you able to try on foot pockets? If not read Dans thread about sizing them and all the reviews. The way your fins fit and feel may well be the most important dive gear

i like to spear fish