New need some advice on shallow water / shore diving

• Hello everyone so I'm new to the fourm and to spearing so I was just looking for some advice maybe a few tricks. I've been in the water my entirel life I grow up on Maui and have surfed for years I did a little free diving when I was younger with my dad (he lives in washington and a little in santa cruz where I grew up) but just really started up and starred spearing, so I know the basics of water safety and all that jazz and obviously diving is a little different but Im just wondering about weight vest / weight belts which is best, how much lead I need to be neutral around ten fifteen feet cause I only dive to about thirty fourty feet right now and any techniques for shallow water/ reef dives. I dive in santa barbara and Ventura right now but also looking for some spots up and down hwy 1. I use a fiberglass pole spear five feet long with paralyzer tip

Edited once, last by dillon: title was wrong ().

• Hey Dillion, there are some ninja divers here that can give you Boss advice. But if you are cool with an average diver giving his 2 cents, I can offer some advice.
    Shallow water you need to weight yourself heavy, my standard for heavy is if I can relax at the surface and breath up without fighting my weights. Everyones weights are different, your body wear(wetsuit or whatever), your weight bone density blah blah, only you can weight you correctly! I prefer my weight belt when diving blue or normally, BUT for shallow/reef ambush hunting, hands down my weight vest is the preferred equipment.
    If you are going for lionfish that rig is good but if you are wanting fish that don't stand up and wait to be shot then a longer pole and different tip will probably soon be needed. My 2 cents.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I"ve changed my weight balance based on lots of factors.

Good starting point:

For what you are doing and Starting Point, if you are on surface and FULL lungs you should float. If you breath all of the air out of your lungs, you should start to sink.

As you go down, the water pressure will compress your wetsuit and change your Volume. You will thus-ly be less buoyant.

Don't forget the Volume changes of YOU with depth, and refer to my Good friend Archimedes. He has a principle everyone should know. :)

I like to be neutral at the depth of the hunting zone. At times I liked being over weighted and other times on the other side of it.

Having your weight balance is very important. and everyone likes it differently.

I've just used Belts and not vests. Not that vests are bad, just what I learned and it works for me.

Got some Polespear/Tip testers in Santa Barbara, I can link you up with, if you like? Send me a PM

• Dude george. Thanks for the tips and about my spear I am already looking in to a new pole with a floper or slip tip around seven feet right now I just have a orange fiberglass pole but the tip is crimped on so no chanting tips. I've already missed and lost a few big fish cause of the paralyzer tip.

Linghunt- thanks for the advice I'll play around with the weight and see what feels best to me. I just read about swb so I wanted to ask just to be safe see what the normal amount would be you know.

• SWB, Go lighter on weight if that is concern.

Make sure you with buddy, or in the end probably doesn't matter.

I have one dive buddy, he doesn't use a belt. with thick 5mm suit pretty hard. He's always pointed straight down and kicking. When he is ready to surface just stops the kick. When he hits surface, he's out of water to his belly button. Strange yep, but he does it.

Watch the surface condition of that pole, if it get rough/starting to splinter, You could have some damage to your hand. Inspect equipment well prior to diving.

Fixed tip poles are fine, just limits your option to convert to different tips. I don't make those except by request only. The boys in HI tend to like them for mounting to Carbon Fiber type poles.

• I just started using a vest this year and it makes a noticeable difference in my dives. Part of it is I'm wearing 20lbs and about 1/3 of it is in the vest. On the surface my back doesn't get sore from the weight pulling me in the middle any more. When I start my dive I notice it takes less effort to get under. Having the weight forward feels like it pulls you down rather than being pushed down. Then laying on the bottom especially in shallow water the vest holds my upper body down making it easier to stay put.
    If you wear a lot of lead I'd recommend a vest.