The different needs between Bluewater spearfishing and reef spearfishing

• Maybe not, a Michael Jordan is a Michael Jordan [emoji6] also think about the fish guys shoot in the Bahamas with polespears... but give those same guys a good gun in the same spots and see what happens! Right?

C'mon dude, the fish in bimini come up and blow you kisses just begging you to stick 'em with your lion fish pole spear.. you know, the really short one. If bahamas had pressure like SoFlo, those guys wouldnt be landing nearly as many fish because it'd be fished out and a lot more competitive. Thats why all of the joe's from here with $$$ take their boats over their a few times a month to catch fish. Cudo's to them, maybe one day I can get back over there. But to be able to land fish on a regular basis in somewhere like South Florida where anyone can swim from shore and hit some reef and the commercial/drift boat guys are killing it. And did I mention the thousands or recreational divers? :laughing: More skill is involved IMO, because you have to know how to hunt here. Places like the bahamas you just go swimming and the fish greet you.

Ok, I'm bracing myself for impact......standby :laughing3:

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Also, I would love to see Cameron Kirckconnell come here and land as many reef & pelagics as he does with a pole spear. I have much respect for that man as an athlete, however, most of his sponsored videos advertising that new CF Riff pole spear are in spots with not a lot of pressure. Can't pole spear those muttons and blacks that hang 15ft out on the edge of viz...

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• George, I totally agree. Chase, build your own Hybrid. I built mine patterned after Daryl's GR Hybrid rear handle plus 55". I tried to buy one of Daryl's guns that he built for a guy that backed out of the deal...he sells those for around $650. Not bad. I think I spent about $250 and a couple of Airline passes for my build. But it is a great gun. I built it after diving with a South Point assassin who shoots a 50" Wong RH plus hybrid. I loved how it tracked in the Hawaiian currents but still had the mass to handle bigger shafts and three bands of 16mm.

Don't get me wrong dude, I think they're beautiful guns. But I just don't see the need for one here. I can land mid water fish like jacks and macks with a 110-120 pipe gun with 2 x 14mm bands. I don't think our currents rip nearly as hard as you Hawaiian dudes endure. Plus those hybrids still get broken muzzles sometimes, whereas on an all wood stock that is a lot less likely to happen for sure.

Any who, I'm pretty confident that my my 125cm SD Teak w/ 2 x 16mm bands can handle anything I will run into on all 3 three of our reefs and wrecks from 15 - 80+ fsw and even some blue water such as mahi and those stupid wahoos George mentioned that come in closer, and kingies as well.

:thumbsup2:

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Interesting conversation here :)

George, the main reason I use a small (but powerful for its size) pipe gun is because where I used to dive is usually murky. AND, I don't have room for an extra speargun, AND anytime your gear can be confiscated by the Guardia Nacional, AND last but not least, I'm not able to hit a damm thing farther than 12 feet from my tip.

I know that the "El Marco" legend could be falling at this time, but I'm human as you are. And older :rolleyes1:

If I could hit a fish at 20+ feet and go Bluewater exclusively, for sure I'll take a tuna gun with me. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I hear you El Marco and I know why you hunt with what you hunt with [emoji4]. For me it's my bad eye sight that is messing with me, that's why I hunt big fish, it's so I can see what I am shooting at [emoji1] We sound like the old dudes we are becoming [emoji6] But your legend is intact, the reflexes needed to shoot a wahoo suddenly appearing out of the murk is legendary! I get to start my hunt 100ft from target [emoji106]

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Beautiful fish Chase. I know we all get on a soap box regarding our personal gear, but in the end Bruddah, a hunter is a hunter and it looks like you got it! I've been privileged to have a rather large quiver of guns for the fact that me and my five boys all hunt and we have tried all the various styles of production and custom guns. I like em all! In fact, it's almost an addiction for me to constantly try new rigging, new trigger mechs, new barrel designs etc. I want to be lethal with all of them. I also enjoy time away from the water tinkering with my gear as this keeps me involved with my passion. My boys always laugh at me because I come back from a trip or have delivered more gear or DIY projects. While living up in Central Fla we would launch out of Cedar Key and I have never seen "fishier" water except in a Marine Protected Area! So. Fla is tougher. Hawaii has been hunted for centuries so fish are very smart and stay far away from anything pointy. Bahamas are full of fish and a blast to shoot with Hawaiian slings, three prongs, pole spears. Atlantic side of Central Fla is great but a much further boat ride than you guys have down south. When I fly out of Lauderdale I'm fascinated at the reef lines, weed lines and clear Gulf Stream water that is so close to shore.

All in all, any speargun, any gear, any location is a blessing if it keeps us tucking below the surface and surrounding ourselves with the therapeutic blanket of salt water. And whatever puts fish on the boat or the kui (stringer) in the end comes down to the abilities of the trigger puller. Having different tools for different work makes the job more manageable, but they don't take the shot, we do.

I have totally enjoyed Speardiver these last few weeks as I've been flying around cold parts of the country more than I normally do. (Got to make $$ to pay for these toys). It's great to stay connected to Spearfishing while sitting in a hotel room and looking out at the cold, snowy world where diving is only watched on YouTube. If only they knew, yeah?!

Big big MAHALOS to all the contributors of these awesome threads lately. Its like we've been out on a dive trip together...

Aloha!
    Makoa

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• …note to self…..when flying out of tropical destinations with surrounding reefs, be sure pilot is not a spearo looking down at the reef….instead of where the plane is going……:laughing::thumbsup2:

Same to you Makoa. The people here make this a great site.

• Also, I would love to see Cameron Kirckconnell come here and land as many reef & pelagics as he does with a pole spear. I have much respect for that man as an athlete, however, most of his sponsored videos advertising that new CF Riff pole spear are in spots with not a lot of pressure. Can't pole spear those muttons and blacks that hang 15ft out on the edge of viz...

You do know Cam is a Florida dude born and raised right? He dives with Slingadore for example on occasion in the same waters as you Chase.

George Steele

• We get the occasional school of mahi coming onto the reefs here in SoFlo. My buddy Miguel landed a nice one by the 2nd reef in 35-40 fsw.

Chase is this your haul or those two dudes? Nothing meant by it, just trying to figure out if the younger guy is you in the photo.

George Steele

• I know cam is a local Georgie, so I think he knows a pole spear even for a legend like him is hard in our open waters here where fish mostly hang far. At least far enough for pole spears.

No offense taken bud. The dudes in that pic are my dive buddies Miguel(left) & Adrian(right). Mig shot that bull mahi at a spot of ours by the 2nd reef.

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Just a side note:

I'm not talking about the keys where it's stacked with fish either. Down there you see schools of hogfish, sometimes 30+. And the bottom structure is different as well. In broward & Dade counties more flat and open with the exception of wrecks.

Relax & Go Spearfishing