DIY Lifeguard rescue can float buoy for spearfishing

• In the interest of the waters we hunt in what depth will the can actually be crushed at and what force would be required to reach that depth. My guess is nothing that we hunt around here will be able to pull that can down far enough.

• well i figure it's gonna crush below 33 ft...given that I am using a 60-80 ft (depends on the day) floatline and a 10 ft bungee, that would have to be in more than 100 ft of water...then the fish would have to run the additional 30 ft of the bungee's stretch to 130 and then pull the float down 30 more ft, so if I am in less than 160 ft of water, it cannot be crushed ^^ famous last words

i also think it would have to be a case where a shark steals my spear and fish and takes it away down deep....i agree that nothing I would spear here is big enough to take that float down 33 ft

i like to spear fish

• well mine is about 12 hours old and has seen 0 dives....so I am not qualified to really answer yet ^^

I expect that it being a lifeguard product, the plastic is UV resistant, if so, that will last quite a while.

the foam I selected is two part marine closed cell urathane foam and I would imagine that it will be quite durable as long as the can remains intact

i like to spear fish

• no actually, it seems to want to right itself but I will need the ocean to put it to the test....I have a feeling that it will work with a small flag at that height, but not the large flag.

in my pool (more very strange looks) it would right itself from completely upside-down, which is reassuring

i like to spear fish

• The can in this configuration is flawless...I was in stiff current today with 2-3ft waves and 11 mph wind and I really never even felt the float there..it rides high and stays out of the waves.

the current flag configuration is also excellent..it rides about 36" above the float and remained steady and vertical at all times....even when it was bashed with wake, it never went more than 45 degrees off vertical.

very pleased...this was with no stringer attached or fish dangling, but for me, there wont be.

this feels very nice to swim under...it feels very visible

i like to spear fish

• :thumbup:

I'm thinking of making another one but this time with a 28" rescue can. Simply because it will fit in my gear bag whereas the 33" doesn't. Something I'd like to do with it that I can't with the RA float is maybe incorporate a spool.

• i was thinking that you could attach your custom spool to the bottom of this type of float and it would be a nice additional keel and possibly even reduce the amount of weight needed.

Additionally, i had a pretty good idea as well which is to take a medium size pelican box (or a comparable substitute) and cutting out a hole on the top of the can, recessing the dry box into the can and securing it with some epoxy and then finishing the foam fill..that way you can store your fishing lic, keys, wallet, snacks, phone etc in a nice spot on the float.

i like to spear fish

• and I think a 28 inch can is a much better idea...i think I got caught up in some sort of a bigger is better mentality but the difference in buoyancy is probably negligible and for all practical reasons the smaller can is more convenient. except it more than likely cannot support as large a flag...maybe

it was cool though when the life guard on the launch beach came over to ask where I got it and what I had done to it..he said he noticed it from a ways out and was wondering if it was one of their guys out there...I was pleased to know that it could be seen from far away :D

i like to spear fish

• Good story with the life guard.

I wouldn't want the spool on the bottom because it will catch on other diver's lines. I wouldn't put a box in the float because I only use it for boat diving, obviously the articles you mentioned would be stored on the boat. And the float gets banged around quite a bit on a boat, the top of the pelican case would break for sure. When beach diving a float is not ideal, a board is a better solution. On a board there ample room to store a dry bag.

• you would still want it as ballast for the flag.

I als found a while back that this design requires a much shorter flag pole for high wind days... Ilost a small flag to learn this :(

i like to spear fish

• hahaha, you are correct sir...i should have been more specific.

I favor the plastic flags for this application because they hold onto the flag pole with friction. This is however negated if the float flips and the flag is submerged. On a windy day, the flag was too high for the ballast and it kept flipping...twice i found it upside down and instead of removing the flag, I simply righted it...on the third flip, the flag was gone when I found it.

So yes, I lost it because it was not secured to the pole or float. however the 10-15 previous dives it had no issues with flipping so I was lulled into a false sense of security

i like to spear fish