Do you ever "reel in" the fish?

• I was curious as to whether anyone ever reels in the fish after it tires.

Usually, I let the fish tire based on the holding power of the shot, and then pull in the line with my hands.
    What I don't like about this usual method is that by the time I subdue the fish, I'm surrounded by a lot of line floating around, sometimes looped and tangled.

I've seen a couple of youtube videos where some spearo's reel in big mackerel with the reel, and then subdue the fish.
    I'd like to know what y'all think about reeling fish in, as opposed to 'handlining' it.

• I was curious as to whether anyone ever reels in the fish after it tires.

Usually, I let the fish tire based on the holding power of the shot, and then pull in the line with my hands.
    What I don't like about this usual method is that by the time I subdue the fish, I'm surrounded by a lot of line floating around, sometimes looped and tangled.

I've seen a couple of youtube videos where some spearo's reel in big mackerel with the reel, and then subdue the fish.
    I'd like to know what y'all think about reeling fish in, as opposed to 'handlining' it.

Dangerous to have line all around you like that, I read a post from Jon at Ulusub when I first started out reel fishing, its been my bible ever since, great tips and explanations... You can find it at the "other forum that shall not be named"
    Basically swim at the fish while Gathering line and releasing it immediately behind you, never let it pool up all in one spot around you. always be ready to let the line run through your fingers if it wants to run again. With small fish or fish that are done(even 40 lb wahoo) I have been know to reel them up BUT only when the fight is over!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Basically what George said. Let the gun float behind you as you pull in the line/swim towards the fish.

Spearfishing reels are for line storage. They aren't designed like an above water reel. The handles are small the drag is simplistic. Both make them difficult to use like a reel designed for hook and line fishing but other than the inconvenience there is a serious risk to trying to "reel in" the fish. When there is little pressure on the line as you wind the reel the line gets stored relatively loosely. As the fish runs or fights back line gets put on more densely. It can even get pulled down into the looser line. It may not always cause a problem but this can result in the reel locking up on a later shot which is a serious danger.

• Yep. try to move upwind or current as you gather line on the surface so it moves away from you. I've had a shark grab a nice dog snapper and if I had been tangled in the line.....whoaaa. I watched my Riffe floater disappear like a small cork.

Jake and I will reel the line in on each other's guns as one pulls up the fish.

• Yep. try to move upwind or current as you gather line on the surface so it moves away from you. I've had a shark grab a nice dog snapper and if I had been tangled in the line.....whoaaa. I watched my Riffe floater disappear like a small cork.

Jake and I will reel the line in on each other's guns as one pulls up the fish.

My friend Sterling has done the same for me. I reel in the line after the fight is over and the fish is subdued.

Sterling had a bad experience where his reel backlashed. That maniac wrestled a 50lb AJ to the top by the time we had noticed anything was wrong.

• Thanks for your replies, guys. I suppose I will continue to 'handline' it as you all recommend.
    And great advice about going against the current or surge.. so the line is behind you at all times. Again, it is easier said than done, but I'm sure I'll get used to it!