How can I spear in Cuba?

• Hello everyone,

I'm flying to Cuba tomorrow and I was wondering if I am allowed to take my gear
    to do some spearing off the beach (mainly worried about my gun and my knife being taken away). Just a few details, I am a U.S. citizen born here in the states. My parents--who I am going with-- are American citizens but they were born in Cuba. The travel agency (Cuba Max) told me my gear is fine on the plane but they don't know if it will pass at the Cuban airport (Jose Marti Airport, Havana).

I know several of you have gone and I want to know if you think they might confiscate my gear at the Cuban airport. Do I need any special fishing license in advance to be able to fish there?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• There will be no problem with your gear entering Cuba.

Speargun and knife must be in checked in luggage. If asked never say speargun, always say fishing equipment.

Fishing license is required in Cuba. But there's no enforcement and as a visitor for a short time no one will expect you to have it.

You can see what spearfishing in Cuba is like in this thread Cuba spearfishing

• Thanks for the swift reply Dan. When you say to mention "fishing equipment" do I say that to the Cuban officials only or when I check in my luggage in the U.S. airport as well? Just in case they open my bag in Cuba do you think they can confiscate my gear or am I allowed to have it?

Also what would I say if they ask me if I have a license to fish there?

How can I acquire a Cuban fishing license?

Sorry about all these questions, I just don't want to take my gear and have it taken away. My mom is already advising me against taking my gear but I really want to fish there.