Splicing spectra instead of crimping

• Along the same lines as making wind on leaders, I was thinking of using jerry brown 16 strand hollow core spectra hollow spliced to my 300lb mono where it attaches to the spear. I feel like it would reduce drag, reduce reef chafe near the spear and just be a better option than a crimp. Any opinions?

• Along the same lines as making wind on leaders, I was thinking of using jerry brown 16 strand hollow core spectra hollow spliced to my 300lb mono where it attaches to the spear. I feel like it would reduce drag, reduce reef chafe near the spear and just be a better option than a crimp. Any opinions?

So, shaft to spectra to mono ? Or shaft to mono to spectra?
    U thinking of using a deep bury to connect the mono to the spectra?
    Is the jb on ur reel?
    Are u using the spectra as your crimp?
    Lol. Sorry bu jus tryna understand the setup.
    :)

Sound idea, we have never had our wind ons fail and they have held decent fish, it does take a fair amount of bury though to get it right. Personally I avoid mono like the plague for shooting line, it just fails to much and hollow spectra works so much better for me.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Setup would be spear to spectra to mono, to spectra. I don'tthink ill run a reel 80%+ of the time.
    George kind of my thoughts. I really didn't think straight spectra was Eben an option. Again wroth no reel, if I miss, I need a little cushion at the end of the rope

• Setup would be spear to spectra to mono, to spectra. I don'tthink ill run a reel 80%+ of the time.
    George kind of my thoughts. I really didn't think straight spectra was Eben an option. Again wroth no reel, if I miss, I need a little cushion at the end of the rope

Brendon, I feel like that setup would work, but the mono would have to be buried so far into the spectra you might as well just go strait braid.....

For the cushion you could use hollow Dacron instead.

• Sound idea, we have never had our wind ons fail and they have held decent fish, it does take a fair amount of bury though to get it right. Personally I avoid mono like the plague for shooting line, it just fails to much and hollow spectra works so much better for me.

Ive had problems with spectra getting tangled in my bands before probably due to the line being so limp (generally when I had to tie reel line straight to the shaft after my mono cut) but I can see how a bury almost the complete length of the shooting line would keep hollow spectra stiffer, kind of like cored dyneema.

Right now I use 400lb mono on all my guns (85cm - 140cm) Never had any breaks,
    J-Line 400lb mono is about the same diameter as 300lb Ande.

• Orange dynaglide is nice stuff for our local conditions. Easy to follow in murk to cut a fish out of kelp. Can be easily retied in the water if needed. No crimping. You can quickly put a loop anywhere on the line to attach float bag or surface floats.

• Orange dynaglide is nice stuff for our local conditions. Easy to follow in murk to cut a fish out of kelp. Can be easily retied in the water if needed. No crimping. You can quickly put a loop anywhere on the line to attach float bag or surface floats.

If you had time, a picture wil be appreciated :)

Regards.

Sadot Hernàndez.

• I have thought about this many times.
    Would be perfect for a float
    Shaft-crimped mono - mono inside spectra - tail end of spectra has a loop extending well behind the
    gun (held tight to the release by a small bungee) gun..... float line to the spectra loop Shackle or snap swivel to keep it small and streamline.
    All-in all you would have 1 wrap of mono and 1-2 wraps of spectra. Adjust as desired.

you could have many extras in the boat for a quick change..... different sizes and so on

Hybrid shooting line ?

• Ive had problems with spectra getting tangled in my bands before probably due to the line being so limp (generally when I had to tie reel line straight to the shaft after my mono cut) but I can see how a bury almost the complete length of the shooting line would keep hollow spectra stiffer, kind of like cored dyneema.

Right now I use 400lb mono on all my guns (85cm - 140cm) Never had any breaks,
    J-Line 400lb mono is about the same diameter as 300lb Ande.

Only happened to me when my wishbones were to long ;)
    I have a long line of friends who said the same "never broke on me" then lost the fish of a lifetime because it went into structor.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele