Howdy from the Cowboy State

• New guy here from Wyoming. Only bad thing about this state is the distance from the ocean, but I'm lucky enough to be able to travel to good spearfishing spots a few times every year. I prefer to be in the bluewater rather than on the reef, and I never get tired of hunting wahoo and dolphin/dorado/mahi-mahi. My next trip will be in late April, but I have not decided on a destination. I try to visit at least one new place each year. If anyone knows a good spot for pelagics in late April or early May, I'm all ears. Right now, I'm thinking Tobago, though I've never been and am not sure what it's like that time of year.

Have enjoyed reading the posts on this site. Hope to get to know some of you guys.

Wayno

• Hank, I was actually introduced to the sport in Belize while visiting a friend on Ambergris Caye. That was 10 years ago, and I've been addicted since.

• Nice. I lived there for a year and a half in 2000 - 2001. Used to go by boat every day up to Bacolar Chico Marine Reserve. Didn't spearfish when I was there. More into scuba then. The guy you visited is from here? Maybe I know him. Belize is a small town. :D
    I'm moving down to Sittee River in a few weeks. Look for the thread on here, "Fricken Jake, spearfishing Belize". You can see some of the fish we get.

• Thanks, Dan & Don.

The avatar photo was taken on Ascension Island last July. I like your avatar better than mine, Don.

Hank, my friend is a snowbird from Alaska who goes there in the winter. Name is Waldo, has a house 6 miles north of San Pedro, swimming distance to the Mexico Rocks snorkeling spot. I've spent several months on the island over the last 10 years and know quite a few of the locals, so it's likely we know some of the same people. Bacolar Chico was one of our favorite spots to spearfish until the wardens politely told us one day that it was a reserve and we had to stay out. I've read some of your posts, those are impressive fish - sadly, it's very rare to see anything that size around Ambergris anymore.

• Welcome, no big pelagic hunting in Tobago really, will get mahi and wahoo but nothing world class... Their reef fish are world class though if you can dive deep.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Unusual to see another spearo from Wyoming. Welcome! Never thought I would find another place I would love more than Wyoming. Never thought I would enjoy something more than Elk, Muledeer, and Antelope hunting. Never thought I would enjoy something more than building custom guns and knives and reloading and shooting.
    What I have learned is never to say never even at 70 years of age.
    Still have family in wyo. but I just can't bring myself to leave this Island long enough to go back and visit. Wyoming thought me about hunting, the fascination is how similar fish are to big game hunting.
    Obviously you have discovered the same!

• Dude George, thanks for the info on Tobago.

Rustyflopper, it wouldn't be too hard to convince me to trade Wyoming for a Caribbean island life. Seems like the winters get longer and colder every year...