Gearing up and getting out

• I have been to the ulusub site, but I didn't see any way to get price or ordering outside of the info email, which has come back undeliverable. I'll inquire about them.

I'm all ears if anyone has anything to say about the Speardiver teak gun.

• You first on the Andre 120 if you're interested...I don't need it, just one I'd like to have if the price is right, which is less than the asking price.

• I'll pass. I've always preferred new gear over used...maybe it's an odd thing.:crazy:

I like the look and description of the Andre 120 enclosed track euro too...

• Thank you Marco. I've read quite a bit of your input here and I appreciate your concise and practical suggestions.

Why do you like 14mm better? Easier to load?

Float and float line instead of a reel? Is that because there's less chance of entanglement?

Sorry for the delay. I don't get messages anymore... :(

14 mm bands are easier to load and you have less recoil. Additionally, with the small ID bands, you get almost the same power as with the 16 mm.

If you're a begginer, a reel has much more chances to fail/tangle/go wrong. A floatline is simple and you just have to release your gun and surface when you shoot a fish.

I have tried double wrap and FOR ME there is not a single advantage; I am not able to hit anything that far away, plus, you give the fish more chances to hole and tangle. Single wrap anytime for me.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I agree on the 14 mm, small ID bands.

The shorter single wrap kind of makes sense…but if it's a good size fish, it's going to run out line on your reel anyway unless you stone it. I don't see a disadvantage with single wrap though. And I have shot a few good size fish farther away shooting down on them from a ledge. But we have great vis in Belize.

And a float line is simpler but I had more fish hole up on my using that but I was using a breakaway. I couldn't grab the floatline quick enough and had fish hole up deep.
    With a reel, if the fish starts to run, you can slow it a bit holding the line as it comes off the reel.

I'm not arguing with you Marco….just thinking…..sitting in this damn hotel in Ho Chi Minh…..wishing I was diving….:(

Edited once, last by hank ().

• 10-4 Marco. Float line it is!

• 110 cm, single wrap.

I like 2 x 14 mm better than 2 x 16 mm. Both brands are good. Float & floatline if you're a beginer. Easier to use.

Dive safe.

DITO!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• yup yup and yup :d

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Sorry I'm late to the conversation. Hope you're settled in and slaying fish with your new Andre.

You got some great advice by some great spears. I would listen to any of them and their experience. The only comment I would make is regarding the two vs one wrap set up. I Always use two wraps due to shooting in ultra clear vis in Hawaii. I can't tell you how many times I've taken shots at fish when I used single wrap and watched my shaft stop short and sink just out of range because I was shooting at a larger fish that looked closer than it was. With two wraps I know that my shaft will have the range allowed by the power set up of my bands...otherwise I've basically shortened my range capabilities. But that is in ultra clear water. I have made so many shots at max range with two wraps, shots that wouldn't have made it with only one wrap. Hunting blue water you're going to most likely have great visibility and will be shooting at larger fish which make better targets at longer distances. So you will definitely be shooting at fish at the range capabilities of that Andre.

Float line or reel?....yes! For Blue water and reef hunting both have their place. I always use float line when swimming long distances from shore for visibility by others, a safety float for fatigue, and a place to hang my stringer and fish. Also when I expect BIG palagics that will spool my reel I prefer a float line and breakaway set up. BUT I hate being tethered to 75-100' of line and a float when out by rocky pinnacles with ripping current as it makes it hard to hunt close to the up current sides without your float and float line getting hammered and tangled on the rocks. I will usually tie or anchor my float line on the down current side and hunt with my reel. More versatile and less drag, etc. But a float and float line is simpler to use. While reef diving a reel just makes it easier to move around coral heads, move through holes and caverns and the reel line acts just like a float line in marking where a fish has holed up or to mark a spot with lobster or octopus etc. If you're using a single gun to hunt both reef and blue water I would suggest to get a reel so you have the option and versatility according to the spots you're hunting. My dedicated blue water gun doesn't have a reel because it only gets used when hunting big palagics that require a float line and floats. All my other guns have reels, but I also can clip them into my float line...all determined by the spot I'm hunting.

Fish looks close...

• Hey thanks for the info. I'm still in NY right now....we fly out on the 3rd of May. The gun and associated gear is in SC in a sporttube-my friends are bringing it down with some other bags. I'll get it all a few weeks after I get there, but I'll have my pole spear, mask, fins etc with me so I'll have something to play with!

I ended up getting a float-line , float and line clutch. The gun came rigged up with 16mm bands and two wraps. Since I don't have anything to compare to how these bands are to use, or whether I like one wrap or two, I'll just shoot it this way for now.

I've gotten some great advice that I really appreciate. It'll give me something to reference as I get more experience and start tweeking my setup.

• I've already started making small changes. I like the wood handle on the Andre gun, but I wanted an alternate just in case. I don't like the look of standard AR-15 handles, so I modified the Andre AR frame to work with an ergonomic grip made by Leapers. Now I can simply swap out the handles by simply unscrewing 4 screws. I'm not a fan of the high polish, so I sanded it down to change it to a matte/brushed finish.