Diver hospitalized after shark bite during spearfishing trip

• Diver hospitalized after shark bite during spearfishing trip -- West Palm Beach

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (WSVN) -- A spearfishing trip left a diver injured and hospitalized after he was bitten by a shark.

According to rescue crews, the victim, who is in his 20s, was spearfishing about two miles out from shore when he was bitten by a shark multiple times in his arm.

Paramedics arrived on the scene of the Sailfish Marina after a boat carrying divers brought the shark bite victim to shore. Officials rushed the victim to the hospital shortly after. "He probably got bit pretty hard," said witness Marc Linsky. "The guy was laying on the floor and he was bleeding, I think from his shoulder. And within seconds, a bunch of police officers and EMT guys came and pulled him out, put him on a stretcher and gauzed him up."

Firefighters believe the diver was bitten by a bull shark. They said he was spearfishing for cobia, a fish that follows sharks hoping to eat scraps. This time though, the fisherman himself became the prey. "You could see the blood was coming through the gauze and they literally carried him off of the boat and then they wheeled him out and put him in the ambulance," Linsky said.

Experts said that spearfishing is one of those activities that can draw the attention of sharks because of the movement and the blood in the water.

The victim is extremely lucky he was bitten in his arm, but as of now, his injuries appear to be extensive. He is currently being treated at the hospital.

The victim's name has not been released.

Edited once, last by Linghunt: Removed delete note if it was repeat ().

• There has been a lot of traffic on fb regarding this incident. Not sure what is factual or hype but one fb posting indicated that the Bull sharks were being chummed and the spearo shot a Coiba hanging around the jacked up Bull Sharks. If true - sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Just my opinion but chumming up sharks seems to associate us with food and the sound of a speargun going off signaling "food" might be setting up more incidents and accidents.

Not good IMHO.

Having said that - sure hope the guy is ok and doesn't lose his arm.

• IG reports similar. shooting cobia off the backs of bulls is becoming all the rage. there are multiple vids of spearos doing this circulating social media sites. in almost every vid ive seen a diver nearly gets bitten, so i think it was just a matter of time.
    hopefully the diver is doing ok and recovering without complication.

Something to say about the hazards of social media in the spearfishing community and society in general.

• Something to say about the hazards of social media in the spearfishing community and society in general.

I totally agree with this statement. I will say that "shooting cobia off of bulls" is a broad statement and could range from fairly safe to dumb as hell depending on the situation. I hope the diver recovers quickly.

Promontorium Tremendum

• I totally agree with this statement. I will say that "shooting cobia off of bulls" is a broad statement and could range from fairly safe to dumb as hell depending on the situation. I hope the diver recovers quickly.

A news story is not just about the facts. Nice to see you guy spotting the political agenda hidden in story.

I saw that statement as a way to say the spearo deserved the bite.

Perhaps what he was doing was "pushing it", not enough info for me to know.

• Perhaps what he was doing was "pushing it", not enough info for me to know.

If, big IF, if the fb account was accurate - he was pushing his luck. But how much on fb is accurate? Hopefully the real story will come out from the diver himself - or someone that was there.

In the meantime - hope he fully recovers.