Cressi Comache Reloaded....

• Every diver should know or atleast heard of the cressi comanche speargun, used by world champions....blahblah.blah. A very simple yet effective euro pipe gun.

about 5 years ago i received an old broken cressi comance speargun from a dive buddy for free. It was a 100cm pipe which i cut down to 82cm....or so. I cut off the screw in band holes, and shaped a very simple but effective single band muzzle. Over the years I have used this very gun, and have landed some nice fish with it. (uku, mu, omilu, moanakali, kumu, uhu, etc....)
    I really liked the feel of the gun, light, maneuverable, with very little recoil, even when powered with a tight 20mm band.

I personally feel that my comfort with this gun was at least partially attributed to its handle, albeit not the most ergonomic, or cool looking, is probably the most comfortable handle ive ever used. (very good for instinctive shooting).

Fast forward to this year, I ordered a MAKO etr barrel, in attempts to make a bluewater hybrid.........after design after design and brainstorming how I should put this gun together, I realized that it would be a whole lot more economical to just make an enclosed track, all wood speargun, or even a hybrid carbon speargun for my blue water needs.

So I decide to make an etr railgun, just to see how this thing feels in the water,,,,,,but..... I come to find that MAKO does not sell a handle for their etr barrel (separately) and a RABITECH apex handle online costs almost 200 bucks:@

So I figured today would be the day I put the comache handle to the test. The only problem is the mech, rocking sear, with a plastic trigger.... solid as it is for single or double band on a shorter gun, but an etr is gonna need some beef......

First I took out the cassette and line release mechanism.
    Filled most voids and pin holes with epoxy putty.

Then with some tape around the handle spigot to shim (Mako barrels dont fit anyithing ID or rail height sooooo irritating)
    Fit the handle to the barrel, measured the height the mech should be.
    then filled in the bottom of the cassette pocket with epoxy paste.
    After this I used a 1 x 1/2 inch block of abs and cut it to the size of the mech
    Wrapped it in cellophane, and put it in place, shimming it with nails.

Next I poured, epoxy paste into the voids of the cassete hole creating a pocket for the trigger mech.

After the paste hardened I pulled the block out effortlessly and peeled away as much wrap as i could.

(It rained all day in Hilo and no work today so i went a little nuts)

• Now I got a little ahead of myself and tried a coat of red enamel to make the handle look pretty

Stay tuned to see the finished product. If this works out I think I may have just found an alternative to meandros ;);) lol! (looks just as crappy imo):laughing3:

• These are interesting modifications some of which I've considered doing myself. It's great to see it come to life. I was worried that the epoxy putty, epoxy, and paint will not stay bonded with the plastic handle long term. Considering the risk I concluded that it will be more effective to shape a handle out of wood.. and then to just make an enclosed track gun entirely out of wood, with better balance and aesthetics. If I remember right the ETR barrel felt heavy so you'll need good leverage to swing it. Hopefully the Cressi handle will prove up to the task. Thanks for posting this, the pics are great.

• Thanks Dan,

I had this stewing in my head for a whilel. Wont know until i get to use it for a couple months to see if it can handle the pressure of being loaded, shot and banged around in the saltwater. Epoxy bonds well to ABS, as well as other composite handles, (ive used it to shape ergo grips for other guns before).
    I used the putty as a filler, mainly so i was able to pour the paste (resin and fiberglass). I figure if there is any loss of bond between the epoxy and ABS the pins will hold the mech in place. (maybe i should bolt it in.:laughing: )

I also thought about wrapping it in carbon or fiberglass, Think that would improve its durability?

This is definitely a test run if anything i can kill a few fish, then hang it up for sentimental value.

Youre right, the etr barrel is very heavy, I hope the gun floats when im done with it, (why i considered making a hybrid).

• Update on the build

3 band ABS muzzle roughed out

Handle is holding together through loading pressure and band pressure.

pool testing tomorrow hopefully

shaft is a 9/32 17/4 heat treated (hammerhead) shaft with innerlock slip tip, ive used this on a rail gun with disappointing results (shaft too thin, slip tip throws the shot off too much)

Hopefully with the etr barrel shaft whip will not affect shaft flight as much.