How to shimmy the male adapter of a speargun handle

• I need a solid way to increase the diameter of the male adapter of a speargun handle by about 1mm all around. I used two part epoxy to form a thin layer all around the male part and slowly inserted it into the tube turning it at the same time. The extra epoxy squeezed out and was easily removed. It's solid for now but I'm afraid that after many flexes of the barrel the epoxy will crack and disintegrate. Suggestions for a better way please.

• I just got an idea to use a thin but stiff plastic sheet. Something like what comes inside the footpockets when you buy complete fins to keep the footpockets from collapsing. I can't remember well, those may be too thick. Any ideas where I can get a thin plastic sheet? Maybe one of the thinner PVC pipes.

• I solved this problem. I remembered a small sheet of plastic that was hanging around the house a few months ago but couldn't remember where it came from. I had a stroke of genius to ask my wife, she's really great that way. After 5 minutes of describing it the light bulb went on and she brought me two of those sheets. Turns out these little $1 cloth shopping bags she gets at Publix have the plastic sheets at the bottom to keep it rigid and give the bag form. They are the perfect thickness for shimmying and are a nice matte black color. The handle is rock solid in the tube. I remember now that I've seen similar plastic sheets on the bottom of more expensive sports bags.

If anyone still wants to offer other solutions feel free to use this thread.

• What you were looking for (and found) is called "shim stock" in industry. Thin pieces of aluminum, stainless, and brass are available from McMaster.com and other places in almost any size from 0.002" through 0.100". If you can get an accurate measurement of the inside tube diameter, and the outside of the male piece, then you can subtract to get the difference and order the proper thickness for any application. They have thin nylon and UHMW plastic as well, but not in quite so many sizes. Hobby shops that cater to remote control model airplane builders are often a good place to get thin pieces of metal too.

Or you can just cut the bottom out of a shopping bag.

• im glad you found a solution, by looking at that picture and reading your post, i don't know what the hell is going on?? ive read it a few times but gave up.:)

I think Dan threw you off by mentioning the handle but posting a picture of the muzzle.:D