Impressions on the longdogs...

• Now that Tut and Arliss have been here for a little over two weeks figure I can somewhat report on 'em .

Gazehounds are a bit of a pariah in the hunting dog world. They are as affectionate as they are aloof. They wanna please, when they want to. I have yet to hear either bark. They have little to no protection instinct. They are the only dog I have ever been around from the hound group that show some seperation anxiety .

I have co-owned some for awhile...but it was more like a time share . They lived at the other parties kennel...we shared expenses, and I could hunt 'em anytime I wanted.

Tut and Arliss are the first two to actually be brought into the home, and that was at my wife's bidding due to her fascination with fast dogs. They are extrememly affectionate, but not needy so like a Lab or some Spaniels. They are inherently lazy, spending alot of time just sleeping or at the very least resting and watching the world go by.
    As a pure pet...I believe they would be ideal as they are very easy to share space with and are prone to few,if any, health concerns. The only one is they are prone to having twisted stomachs. This is easily remedied by feeding small portions when they are going to be lounging. I generally feed them in their crates. No food if they are getting ready to go outside.

All in all...a fun breed to have around. BTW.... women freakin' love 'em. Walk 'em thru the park and they flock. Damned if that would've been good info about 6 years ago.

• nice dogs:thumbsup2: they remind me of the greyhounds they race here in south florida.

are they at all related? i believe the give them up for adoption here, i assume after their racing careers are over.

btw, i dont know much about dogs.

• Does gaze hound = sight hound? From your description and my past experience these dogs remind me of fighting dogs. They look to me like they'd behave as dead dogs up until the moment they start to do their thing which is to chase no? Truly a single purpose dog. How many dogs have you got at your place now Aaron? Do you have kennels? How many and which of your dogs are house dogs?

• nice dogs:thumbsup2: they remind me of the greyhounds they race here in south florida.

are they at all related? i believe the give them up for adoption here, i assume after their racing careers are over.

btw, i dont know much about dogs.

I believe they all share a common ancestry ,av .

• Does gaze hound = sight hound? From your description and my past experience these dogs remind me of fighting dogs. They look to me like they'd behave as dead dogs up until the moment they start to do their thing which is to chase no? Truly a single purpose dog. How many dogs have you got at your place now Aaron? Do you have kennels? How many and which of your dogs are house dogs?

4 currently reside in the house,Dan, and all 4 live in the house. As a general rule I find I get more biddable dogs that are easier to work with when they are inducted into the household. I have kennels ,but the guy who built them did a horrible job , so all of the construction has been ripped up until I rebuild them.

They really are a single purpose dog . They live for the chase and the kill.

gaze hound= sight hound
    longdog= a dog of mixed breed anscestry, but all sight hound
    lurcher=sight hound x'd with anything else... usually a terrier or scent hound

• Just for gee-whiz , the only sighthound with any kind of protection drive appears to be the azawakh...hails from sub-Saharan Africa.

From what I can gather, they would certainly present a challenge as they do posses a protection instinct, and yet have a hounds typical independent mind.