What´s your favorite or favorites band/ shaft configurations

• 7mm shaft, two 16mm bands (special bands with small ID).

The other day I shot a grouper at close to the end of the mono, I use a double wrap. The shaft didn't go in past the flopper and simply pulled out. This made me realize that towards the end of the gun's range the shaft doesn't have enough momentum / not enough band power. This is a rare situation as the vast majority of shots are closer. This lost grouper made me think of adding a 14mm band for a total of 3 bands.

• I like to use the 7 mm shaft with 2 5/8´s, that´s the best all around configuration. Sometimes a bigger shaft 8 mm and 3 9/16´s do the trick as well. That configuration gives enough power to kill any fish at the end of the shooting line (2 wraps) so your rationale is right on the money. the more bands, the heavier the gun though.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Isn't the length of the bands also a consideration in your favorite setup?

My little bay gun handles 3 (5/8") bands pretty well shooting a 5/16" shaft that is 48" long. Length from the muzzle to the middle shaft tab is 38". It does kick a little, but the recoil is nicely in line and does not seem to generate any substantial muzzle jump, and I have plenty of short range power for thick headed snapper. I seldom have the opportunity at longer shots, though, so I do not really know how the accuracy would be at the limit of the shooting line.

• My 45" gun uses 23" , 24" bands 50" flopper, 9/32 shaft.

For a 50" , rearhandle the bands are 24" , 25" and the shaft is 57" 9/32

The 61" gun uses 26", 27", and 28" bands either with 5/16 or 9/32 60" and 63" shafts.

The other guns I don´t recall, they have the standard configuration.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I also use two 5/8 bands for 7 mm shafts. It is by far the most effective set up I've used. I usually measure the total length of band stretch and divide it by three. Then whatever number I got that's how long the bands will be minus 2 inches (length of the wishbone). The 5/8 bands are closer to 18 mm so when I use 16 mm I just make them shorter. Hope this helps.

The 5/8 bands are closer to 18 mm so when I use 16 mm I just make them shorter.

5/8" = 0.625" = 15.875mm

I just used calipers to measure the diameter of my 5/8 bands which are from this order http://spearfishing.world/spea…sing-water-intrusion.html and they are exactly 16mm. When I speak of band diameter I use 5/8" and 16mm interchangeably.

It's what people call a 20mm band that's not accurate. It's manufactured as a 3/4" band.
    3/4" = 0.75" = 19.05mm.
    So in actuality people call a 19mm band a 20mm. I guess it sounds better.

Only with European made bands I've heard of variations from the standard 16mm and 19mm band diameter. Of course I could custom order any diameter here in the US.