souped up kayak!!

• hey guys, I just got today the new electronic outboard motor for my kayak. It is a new setup by torqeedo, I am supposed to use and abuse this unit and write my reviews about it.

If this things work as planned and I get my second battery, I will start making trips to elliot key for some spearfishing!
    I will start to post pics of the installation and probably some videos.

here's a link for the specs of the motor.

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/hn/products/ultralight.html

• Also congrats on being picked to test it out. I too love getting new free stuff to try out ;)

Nice thing would be if you could put on the motor out on the water. Maybe you can keep it under a tarp or something until you're out there, this way you can launch from public beaches. I understand that once a boat has a motor the lifeguards don't allow it.

• I really don't know how that goes, but I guess if I have it tilted all the way up and I am using my paddles, it shouldn't be a problem! I know it's kinda, sorta, like cheating; but I can go farther and in faster time. This means I can go the 3 miles out to spear out of key largo. And what it would take me 3 hours to paddle, now it will take me 20 minutes. it's not cheating, it's convenience!! :thumbsup2: :laughing3:

• that is awesome man, i have been following the progression of this product and the only thing that holds it back as far as i am concerned is the price. the size weight and thrust all look amazing

I would love to help you abuse this baby haha, wanna try it on your tandem with the pedals !!! i bet we could cover 30 miles on that rig really easily :)

i like to spear fish

• i have a very nice, little 12v, 8 amp hour battery that is pretty small, I will def charge and bring that if we go, should have an extra 4-5 hours of juice on that little guy too :)

i like to spear fish

• this is a short update. I already installed the mounting ball for the motor. It took me a few hours to figure it out because the anchors provided in the kit are more for gibson board than for kayaks and even thought they are stainless steel, they where digging into the kayak and wouldn't hold.

so, I opened up a hole in the tank well of my prowler 13 ( the round molding for a deck plate) I installed a 5" deck plate there. this way I was able to access the bottom (inside of the kayak) grabed the anchors with my visegrips and this way I was able to open up the anchors.

I applied the factory provided rubber gasket plus half a tube of marine goop (just in case) and left it to dry over night. Hopefully tomorow I'll be able to finish mounting the entire unit and test it at the lake behind my house.

I will be uploading some pics tomorow about the installation process and a video of the drag racing, nitro, jet fuel kayak!!!

:cool2:

• I think I used the wrong word then!!! how do you call the material that walls are made out of here in the states? is like a carton crap piece of shit!

back home in Puerto Rico we use concrete! not that crap!! whats the name?

• there you go! Dry wall! sea la madre!! thanks for the word!

The reason why I couldn't use the rivets was 1) because of the size. m6 bolts. and 2) because this is the mounting ball for the motor, this will swivel and turn and this is where all the force/stress will be and honestly I trust rivets up to a certain point and pressure.

the nuts and bolts is also a good idea and for my honest opinion, a better one. But since I am testing the unit and writing a review, I only want to use what they provided me to see how good or bad this system is.

once I am done with the review, I think I will be removing the anchors and adding an aluminum backing plate with some acorn nuts.

• thanks to all the translators! I need to get me the video tapes for sigui me english learning!

For those of you that don't know what "sigui me" is. Raymond Arrieta, a puerto rican comedian, had a skid called sigui me, a knock off from the popular video to learn english called follow me!

• have you thought about wellnuts, the little rubber sleeved screws? they are a nice alternative, although I really like the three way rivets, i have a bunch of nice aluminum ones for motorcycles, they are robust. just gimme a call if you need some

i like to spear fish