Pargo Liso - Mullet Snapper

• I don't usually go out of my way imagining which fish species I'd like to spear that I haven't yet. But when I chanced on pics of this fish something about the way it looks is just asking for a shaft. I was intrigued by it's appearance and thought it to be a strange snapper, looked like a cross between a mullet and a snapper to me. Lo and behold it is indeed called the mullet snapper http://www.mexfish.com/fish/mulsnp/mulsnp.htm That's one beefy and beautiful fish!

Mullet Snapper, Lutjanus aratus: The Mullet Snapper is distinguished by its elongated body (the most aerodynamic of the snappers), an overall red checkerboard appearance that with white spots in the center of each scale that generate alternating dark and light stripes on the sides, and a dark concave tail.

• I just shoot what I eat, and if you shoot one, the local spearos will mock you to death, cause they are not particular hard to spear and their meat is not very appealing. Never tried it either. The hot spot for pargo liso is Bahia de muertos and punta perico. I prefer the hard fighting pargo colorado and its taste even better.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• As Mr.Monster mentions, they form large schools near the surface during the breeding season.

Here's another that a buddy Chay shot in La Paz:

I've only shot one about 4 years ago - good fighter, but wasn't particularly impressed with the edible qualities. Wouldn't mind giving it another shot. ;)