Speargun reel, which to use?

• So, with everyone's advice I've decided against the omer speargun. That handle and mechanism body does seem a bit thin in places, I could see where problems might arise. Monday I'm going to order a speargun, and would like to get a reel with it. I'm not entirely sure how reels work on spearguns though.
    Do you still have a shooting line that then connects to the reel line? or does the reel line connect directly with the spear and u just set the drag after successfully landing a shot? also with the open and closed muzzle option I'm not sure which way to go. My last speargun was a closed muzzle, but i really have no preference? open seems more straightforward and adaptable to me.
    Thanks for any advice.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• You're asking about a reel but I'm compelled to say this, use a float line and float/flag. It's a simpler safer system, especially for beginners.

You can have shooting line between the spear and the reel line, or you can connect the reel line directly to the spear, it's user preference. I prefer an open muzzle, it's faster to load and for me is easier to aim.

If you're going to use a reel with a railgun, the Speardiver composite speargun reel is a good choice. One of its main advantages being that once you set the drag it stays set after the shot. Most other composite reels go into free spool.

• It all depends on how you dive. If you are going to beach-dive, I totally suggest using a float, rope and flag. But if you are diving from a boat then a reel is definitely the way to go. Less things to deal with while in the water. Reels are very effective when dealing with large strong fighting fish (except tunas and such) and they offer less drag than a float+stringer+fish+rope etc... I've tried both ways and I can't see myself using a float and line again. Unless I have too many guns and I couldn't afford reels for all of them, then I would use the float and line system. I like simplicity, getting in and out of the water is much faster when using a reel and it doesn't take up a lot of space in the closet or on the boat. There is people that use both, the reel and the float and line. It is in part a matter of opinion or personal preference. I suggest you go diving with people that use both and try each system. It is the only way you will know for sure what works best for you. As far as how reels work is simple. They attach to the underside of the barrel as close to the handle as possible. The line in the reel attaches to the one end of the mono/shooting line and the other end attaches to the rear of the spear. You also asked about muzzles, go with an open muzzle. Faster reloading and easier aiming.

• I think it's a good idea to start with a float. Especially if you are learning and diving in water that is deep for you. Being able to head for the surface after pulling the trigger, without having to let line out of the reel, fix a tangle, etc. is a good thing when you are relatively new at it.

Having a dive flag following you around is great too, especially with you living in an area that has a few boats.

To answer your question on the reel, you still need the shooting line wrapped on the gun.

• look at this vid. What is scary is the guy runs out of line and gets dragged aroun to deeper water, and wasn`t able to return to the surface. Since he is a great freediver he manages to get some air, and land the fish afterwards. A float is way safer than a reel tho, and it`s less prone to entanglements. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OQ1tYEG6Og&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• well up until now ive always jsut worked with the short shooting line that was on my pos JBL,, and i figured anything mmore than that would be a bonus
    and it seems to me like a floatline would be combersome and problematic
    my biggest hope was that the reel might eliminate the shooting line,, but if thats not the case then i may jsut stay with the status quo..

Edited once, last by sdeisen ().

• The current set up you have will fail, its only a matter of time before you have to choose between the gear or your life (applicable to freedivers only). What are your target species? How deep you dive? Where do you dive?

• The current set up you have will fail, its only a matter of time before you have to choose between the gear or your life (applicable to freedivers only).

Interesting you should say that as it's exactly how I feel about the reel. I thought you weren't aware of the possibility of this kind of situation, based on your previous post, but now I see that you are. Why then don't you extend this line of thinking to the reel? You must see that the average and especially novice spearfisher can be put in that situation because of a reel. Look at what happened to Oscar, he didn't want to lose the gun/reel/camera when the shaft got stuck on the bottom, overextended his bottom time trying to free it, and blacked out. Luckily Frank was there to save his ass. Do we have a reel vs. floatline thread? I know it's been discussed a lot just can't remember if we did it here.

• well to look at it that way we should all be free shafting, bit im really nervous about the HIV virus.. really though that kind of danger is inherent when using any type of set up other than no set up at all. No matter what if a fish takes a quick circle around u or if u were to entangle urself jsut by swimming or situating urself after placing a shot, its alol the same, judge rather u can free the entaglemnt with the amount of air u have in ur body or cut the line. i could see how at least with a float line its constantly keeping itself taught jsut be being bouyant, so thats a bonus

• I understand your point and yes, inexperienced spearos should start with a float and line. I know I did, but eventually switched over to reels. I had the same thing that happened to Oscar happen to me. I had to let go, called the boat over and had them drop me a good 20 ft in front of the gun to get it back. Or if you have the drag set too low and you shoot a big fish the line will spool out so fast creating a bird's nest. Everything has pros and cons. My biggest fear with the float line is having the driver of the boat run it over and destroy the lower unit of the outboard. Or some careless boater run it over during a beach dive catching the rope and pull the whole rig out of my hands and never see it again. Regardless of the advantages of the float and rope I rather stick with reel any day of the week.

• well to look at it that way we should all be free shafting, bit im really nervous about the HIV virus.. really though that kind of danger is inherent when using any type of set up other than no set up at all.

It may seem that way to you but the various situations we've been in over many days diving are very real. It depends on the different conditions you encounter which may include one or all of the following; depth, current, bad visibility, type of bottom, fish size and what it will tend to do after shot etc.

Consider this situation that happened to Gonzo. We were drift diving in strong current in about 50ft over pretty flat reef bottom. Gonzo shot at a fish and missed, the shaft simply lay on the bottom. The barb got gently hooked on the bottom but the current being strong quickly pushed diver and gun away from the spot where the shaft was hooked. On that day I believe that Gonzo's rigging was a float line with no float. In seconds Gonzo found himself holding on to the very end of the float line, unable to make headway to start his dive ahead of the shaft in order to descend on it to free it. Eventually he let go of the line and the gun was lost. This gun was very important to him as it was his first gun and he put a lot of effort into building it. By chance Rolo was dropped ahead of the gun on another drift and recuperated it.

This exact same situation happened to me on two separate occasions except I had a float at the end of the line. I ended up holding the line just at the float for like 10 minutes before the boat picked me up and dropped me ahead of the spot so I could recover the gun. The bottom line is that if there's a possibility that something can go wrong it will.

• Anyone remembers Cameron Kirkconnell shooting Steve Bennet's fin to save him after his blackout? Who remembers Cameron's rigging? I'm pretty sure that if Cameron had a reel Steve Bennet would be dead.