• Alot of people shot these are you eating them as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I've herd is stories of poison, merc of some sort

• If these are safe and or there are ways to make safe I would like to know how TOO. I have only been diving a short time but seem to see these fish 3 out of 5 trips.

• Barracuda are a fun to shoot, high yield, easy to clean, good eating fish. It can carry the ciguatera toxin but this depends on location where it is caught. I can safely say that here in SE Florida they do not carry ciguatera, whereas in Cuba they may. You should investigate about cases of ciguatera from cuda in your region. Look for specific reports not hearsay as most people don't know WTF they're talking about.

If a fish has cig I don't believe there's anything you can do to make it safe. There are two ways that I know of to find out if a fish has cig; a cig test kit or eat a small piece and wait a couple of hours to see if you get mildly sick. Cig can happen in many species of fish not only cuda, it depends on location. Amberjacks can have it, so can schoolmaster snapper, big black groupers and even hogfish, as well as many other species I'm sure. Didn't Kris get sick from a permit or pompano? I got sick once from a big lizard fish, ain't ever touching one of those again.

• great info, couple of days ago killed 5 hogs, and 7 mangrove never knew that hog fish could carry the same toxins as that cuda were said to have carried

• Big African Pompano had the cig., around ~45lbs.

The smell of the cuda really puts me off, if it wasn't for that I'd shoot them up.

Davie Peguero

• Luv2fDive---Over the years Ive heard and seen cig from many different fish.
    As Pargo has said there are Cig test kits, but to the best of my Knowledge none are FDA approved OR 100% accurate. There are many old folklore "cig test" methods, but none that I would trust with my health.
    What I do is the MIL cig test. Which is to cook up one cuda steak your favorite way and take it over to your Mother In Law [MIL]. If she doesn't get sick eating the steak then the rest of the cuda is probably cig free and safe to eat :D

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Luv2fDive---Over the years Ive heard and seen cig from many different fish.
    As Pargo has said there are Cig test kits, but to the best of my Knowledge none are FDA approved OR 100% accurate. There are many old folklore "cig test" methods, but none that I would trust with my health.
    What I do is the MIL cig test. Which is to cook up one cuda steak your favorite way and take it over to your Mother In Law [MIL]. If she doesn't get sick eating the steak then the rest of the cuda is probably cig free and safe to eat :D

I like it.

A friend of mine from cayman said they use to do something sim, they would give to people at the bar, he said "If it goina happen, it happen quick, lets watch an see" crule but effective:devil1:

• Cig comes from coral toxin right?

Given the lack of coral in the gulf I'd think you are safe.

Davie Peguero

• If a fish has cig I don't believe there's anything you can do to make it safe. There are two ways that I know of to find out if a fish has cig; a cig test kit or eat a small piece and wait a couple of hours to see if you get mildly sick. Cig can happen in many species of fish not only cuda, it depends on location. Amberjacks can have it, so can schoolmaster snapper, big black groupers and even hogfish, as well as many other species I'm sure. Didn't Kris get sick from a permit or pompano? I got sick once from a big lizard fish, ain't ever touching one of those again.

Predatory fish often have highest concentrations of cig because it accumulates. Likewise, the toxin accumulates in people too. I have several friends in Hawaii who have succumb to cig poisoning having eaten fish with relatively low concentrations, but over many meals.

There have been many tests on cig in Hawaii, including ongoing fish surveys. As a result, I just steer clear of the red-flagged areas/fish. :)

• any fish can get ciguatera, there are some that have more chance of it but still. the ones that I watch for the most are amberjack , black grouper, cubera , cuda , african pompano , tiger grouper ,yellow jack etc, of course it depends on the area, here in south florida I don't really worry about it. I cought ciguatera from the fish I least expected it , a small hog fish. and that year I learned of several people who did too from the same fish , and never again , it was that year in that area and I've never heard of it again.