Caught a few fish

• I understand you're just making the move to band guns. This fast shot, powerful, rangy gun, all that is dependent on is the two 16mm rubbers you have it rigged with and the weight of the shaft. Any other stick with that band load and the same weight shaft will shoot just as powerful and fast and have the same range.

This Abellan gun looks similar to the gun Johnny said you lent him, which he used when he came out with us. It may be the same gun or not, it doesn't matter because they are both Abellan and I can see that the shape of the stock is similar. I held and fired that gun that day. It's a heavy log, very difficult to track and not suitable for the kind of hunting we do here. You don't need that kind of mass to control recoil from two 16mm bands. If I sound a little curt it's because you've always insisted, albeit in a humorous fashion, on the superiority of the pneumatic. Now you found a wood band gun that is "comparable" :) Wait till you try one actually made for our waters.

So this is what you are saying.... If you take a railgun for example with the same shaft and length as abellan, and put the same rubbers and stretch, you will get the same power and distance of shot? That's not true.

I don't find the gun difficult to track at all. It is super light in the water and it tracks much better than my mako 120cm.

It's all personal preference and this gun does what i want in a gun.

• So this is what you are saying.... If you take a railgun for example with the same shaft and length as abellan, and put the same rubbers and stretch, you will get the same power and distance of shot? That's not true.

Why not? If the band stretch is the same, the same shaft and bands I don't see why any other gun would not shoot the same. I am not talking about recoil, tracking or anything else, just range and power. Care to elaborate?

• :plusone:

What does it weigh with the shaft? Don't get me wrong, it's a well made gun and aesthetically pleasing too. I found the finish on the gun Johnny was using so nice that I'd be worried to put a scratch on it. But I believe that gun was made for shooting that Mediterranean snapper looking fish that doesn't allow divers to get close, denton? It's supposed to be a long shooting gun and that's what all that mass is for. But in that case it's supposed to take like two 19mm bands, crazy, it should shoot straight to the end of 2 wraps of line. But I wouldn't want to shoot two 19mm bands all the time. If I were you I'd try it with two 19mm bands just to see if it still shoots straight. Or at least with one 19mm and one 16mm. Me I enjoy the softer shooting with two 16mm bands. There's no noticeable recoil and if I shoot the spear into a rock I won't bend or break it.

• Why not? If the band stretch is the same, the same shaft and bands I don't see why any other gun would not shoot the same. I am not talking about recoil, tracking or anything else, just range and power. Care to elaborate?

How much a gun recoils affects the power of the shot.

• :plusone:

What does it weigh with the shaft?

Don't get me wrong, it's a well made gun and aesthetically pleasing too. I found the finish on the gun Johnny used so nice that I'd be worried about getting a scratch on it. I believe that gun was made for shooting that Mediterranean snapper looking fish that doesn't allow divers to get close. It's supposed to be a long shooting gun and that's what all that mass is for. But in this case it's supposed to take like two 19mm bands, crazy, it should shoot straight to the end of 2 wraps of line. But I wouldn't want to shoot two 19mm bands all the time.

It shoots straight now to the end of 2 wraps without drop with 16mm bands.

Btw that rubber you have looks great!

• Ok, I see where you are coming from. So, if we mount the Abellan gun and a equally rigged gun (of any brand) to a vise allowing no movement/recoil they will shoot the same right? By the way shooting to the end of 2 wraps with no drop is very good. At the end it does comes down to personal preference and you being happy with it.

• Ok, I see where you are coming from. So, if we mount the Abellan gun and a equally rigged gun (of any brand) to a vise allowing no movement/recoil they will shoot the same right? By the way shooting to the end of 2 wraps with no drop is very good. At the end it does comes down to personal preference and you being happy with it.

Yes. So much power is lost in recoil.

Like i said, the Abellan has what i look for in a gun. It's my personal preference, and i feel confident shooting it which is most important.

• One thing is for sure, you wont find many of those around these parts. Enjoy it and keep shooting those big mutton, by the way how deep were u?

• Wow, so you are back to your old self. I am really happy to hear that. Get some more videos whenever possible please. Not a whole lot of diving here in Seattle.

• greekdiver---that is a beautiful gun and some beautiful fish. Congratulations:thumbsup2:

I also shoot as short a shaft as possible. Your spear shaft looks perfect to me :toast:

92feet, amazing:notworthy1: