Mako guns question

• John Hansen---WOW that is a nice looking pipe gun you got there.:thumbsup2:
    I now see how easy it would be to use the existing muzzle mounting holes for a ti band elevator pipe on your Mako---good idea:cool2:
    How is the stock Mako grip attached to the gun?
    Is it possible to remove the grip from the Mako handle and use Tin Mans shapelock system for a grip you like better?
    "just thinking out loud"

Tin Man--[I still want a new Tin Man enclosed track carbon fiber pipe gun. HINT, HINT]:pray:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• Hau,

the handle is through bolted. It came that way from Mako.

I would love to be able to use the shape lock handle, or even better find some way to mount a Steve Alexander handle, as it is my favorite. The issue would be finding a way to incorporate a trigger mech into the shapelock frame.

As I said before, I am not really a pipe gun guy, so I won't put much effort into trying to build a better mouse trap.

Wait until you guys see the rear handle wood gun I will be building soon!

• I've been eyeballin that handle for a while! I would love to try it out sometime. I would like the Predator handle a lot more if it was smaller. It's just way too friggen big! My favorite pipegun handle is the old green RA handle.

• Yeah I love the Picasso Asegai, I think the Merou is ok but is heavy and has very tight tolerances in the trigger housing.

• The rubber grip on the mako predator comes off but you might have to cut it or maybe try to soften it up with hot water? Do you think it's possible to remove it and fill the space with the shapelock or it would be to thin (the new shapelock grip)? Just wondering.....

• Chuck, what does that mean tight tolerances?

Not sure it's what he means, but there isn't much space in the housing for both euro shafts & mono. For example, the riffe euros - if you use their 17/64" shaft, you can use 200 or 250# mono and it's a tight fit. Most 300# test won't fit. Not a problem if you're using a finned shaft, but these guns were made primarily for euro shafts.

• very nice looking Mako, what size is it? was it relatively easy to take off the loading pad, looks much better that way.

• Jeff I love that muzzle, would you be able to do the same to a Mko of mine when I buy one, just waiting to sell another gun and I am thinking of buying one, now more than ever if you would be so kind, have cash will pay!!!

• very nice looking Mako, what size is it? was it relatively easy to take off the loading pad, looks much better that way.

It's a 130. I wanted a 140, but the Predator is only available up to a 130. I have had the "Rabi" Apex in the past, (same as the iconic) and I could not stand that phucked up handle!

At the time I got this gun, the iconics also had plastic internals:confused1: I don't get it. It's "supposed "to be a better gun, handling more power with a thicker barrel, but the components are made of plastic instead of SS.:rolleyes1: The Iconics now come standard with SS internals.

Yes, the loading pad was very easy to take off. It's just held in place by a pin. Use a punch to remove the pin and pull the pad off, That's it.

• The rubber grip on the mako predator comes off but you might have to cut it or maybe try to soften it up with hot water? Do you think it's possible to remove it and fill the space with the shapelock or it would be to thin (the new shapelock grip)? Just wondering.....

OK, I don't know why that didn't register in my brain when Hau mentioned it:crazy:

That's a great idea! Thanks guys.

• Chuck, what does that mean tight tolerances?

Dan,

Sorry for the confusing posts with the Merou trigger if you put a 7.5 shaft with 300-400lb mono it will be a very tight fit in the trigger housing and you will have to check your line for wear and tear often or use SS cable which I hate doing.

• I'm curious as to your reasons for not wanting to use a tabbed or pinned shaft which will eliminate the necessity of inserting the line into the housing? Or even simply having the hole for the line ahead of the notches instead of the back of the shaft?