Shit weather target practice

• I was thinking how best to spend this shit weather down time and thought that maybe pool target practice would be a good constructive use of time.
    I can be there almost every morning after 830 or so. Scott can be there after 9-930.
    I have numerous tools that we could use to build a target with.
    Now all we need is a pool that we can shoot in.
    I already asked at the condo where I live an they freaked out:@ =="NO!! NO!! NO GUNS!!"
    I will volunteer to buy the target materials an build a nice big target.
    Anyone have or know of a pool in our area that we can use??

• i think he meant shouldnt of asked the condo ppl. as in like instead of can we do this? just let it slip by.
    but its true the condo ppl woud of been on that one like white on rice. I still "owe" the front door guy 5 dollars casue he supposedly had to move my car.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Damn this kid is sharp. I didn't get it either until you explained it. And it goes back exactly to what I told hau when you guys were here. You don't ask for permission for that sort of thing you just do it :D Although the speargun thing would've obviously been a no no. And now hau you set yourself up for an automatic no for when we just want to get together and try the fins and wetsuits.

• Marco--now I understand what you meant. Sorry :D
    Thanks sdeisen88 for helping the old man understand :toast:

When I was a PADI instructor is was not hard to find a pool to rent, but finding a pool where we can target practice is "different".
    I know that I would pay $5-10. a day to swim laps and target practice and check out gear. Hell we pay $6. now to park at Vista/Meade/Dania Pier.

Soooooo, does anyone know of a pool in our area where we can target practice?

• What are you guys using for a target? I made one from a piece of cheap conveyor belt, and it works OK. This is the stuff I used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Conveyor-b…ain_0?hash=item563111cf42

The target is just a strip of the conveyor belt about 7' long. The top edge is looped around a piece of 3" PVC pipe, capped at both ends, to act as a float. The belt just hangs down from that, with a few dive weights on the bottom to hold it in position.

I've only used it once, so Chad may be able to add more info. Shafts shot with 2-bands would penetrate the belt, but stop at the shark fins. Shafts with more bands would sometimes go all the way through, but the belting takes much of the energy out and the shooting line stops the shaft.

I have a heavier piece (twice as thick) that I have been wanting to try.

• Dan---I hate it when everybody except me is correct:D
    I got a place where we can try spearing gear an such, IN SALTWATER. [Which would be much more accurate than a freshwater pool.] But with all this weather I'm afraid that the viz would suck in anything EXCEPT a pool.
    I got a "private" place at Oleta and also we could go on the other side of Dania pier [Wiske Creek].

• Tin Man----very nice:D
    Thanks for contributing such a good idea:toast:
    Certainly building a very good target is next AFTER we find the pool
    Do you have a pool we can come over and use until this weather clears? :rolleyes1:

• hmm. I bet the lap pool at my apt would do, it is 25m and shallow and almost never used aside from 9-2 on weekends...I'll take my gun down tomorrow and see what happens..if there is no uproar maybe it is a suitable location for this.

I will heed steves advice and NOT mention this to my apt manager....they know better than to try and talk to me...I am extremely annoying to them and usually right so they hate talking to me :)

i like to spear fish

• I'm a firm believer in the " forgiveness is easier to get than permission" principle, and I've used it many, many times. You might want to look over your lease just to see if there is any language in it that would address the use of the pool, however. Being as how you've got such a good relationship with your appt mgr. he just might let the Law do his talking for him. :@ Good luck on the lap pool. let us know how it goes.

I've thought of using our club pool for testing, but we've got waaay too many old folks with too much time on their hands, so they are always looking to get their nose in someone else's business. I live on salt water but the vis at my place is never good enough to do any practicing or testing.

• Wood Guy---good points.:toast:
    So seems like we have pretty much ruled OUT any public/community pool as a target practice pool option.
    Seems to me that with all the repoed/abandoned homes in every community and such a broad base of spearos in our area that a pool could be located. I know that if I had a private home with a pool that I would be elated to have my peeps come over, get in the pool, shoot some target, try out someone elses gun/fins etc.
    I thought it was a good idea

• sdeisen88---I KNEW we could count on you :thumbsup2:
    I'm gonna make some phone calls an pick up some "liberal" ladies I know, stop an buy some more wine/beer an we'll be over for our SECOND CLUB MEETING. :thumbsup2:
    I'll tell the girls that the pool is heated, ok?
    Dan-- can you bring Rocky and the bite suit? The girls want to meet him:D
    :drink3: :bed: :dogattack: :attack2:

Thanks sdeisen88:toast::toast:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• I've been shooting the conveyor belt target that Jeff made for a while now and am very happy with it. Don't know about a thicker one - it might be hard to pull the shaft out if it got past the flopper but didn't go all the way through. The one I have just takes a firm tug.

• steve your place sounds awesome...bill mahr is such an asshole, but he is often my kind of asshole.

i brought the gun down the pool with my mask and short(er) fins and a snorkel and got into the water and had just put my fins on and a security guard materialized and asked me what i was doing. I told him i was practicing my diving and kept it vague. He very politely said that it was fine but please dont shoot the speargun as it is too dangerous for a public place. I looked at the empty pool and asked "who could get hurt" and he just repeated it was not safe.

I think it would not go over well to have a target session here :(

i was shocked at the response time...someone clearly was watching the security cams

i like to spear fish

• can we rent the swimming fall of fame pool, i heard its reasonably priced to rent for a half day.
    i dont know about spearguns but i think its like 20 something feet deep. good for suits and fins, weight arrangements, trying diff. masks, techniques etc

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!