Tightening the belt...

• Not really a LA report. but it's the closest thing to an upper gulf coast section that is here.

Went out of MS this past weekend. I haven't been out in a couple of months. The freezer has long been empty of seafood delights and I was in no mood to be too particular about what I pulled the trigger on.

With the recent closures of AJ, ARS, etc., the hit list is quickly narrowing. I went out with the intentions of getting mangroves and sheephead to fill the freezer, but they were not cooperating.

After several failed attempts at various locations, with only 1 small mangrove and 1 decent sheephead (and of course seeing hundreds of decent red snapper), I was dropped on a rig with some cleaner water and hopes of finding some better fish.

I ran into one of the bigger cudas I have seen since I moved to the Gulf Coast. I watched as he swam off, with no intentions of pulling the trigger. As I turned to get a glimpse of my surrounding before surfacing, I was caught off guard by another inquisitive cuda that managed to sneak up on me from behind. I hate these fish for that very reason! They sneak up from behind and scare the crap out of me when I turn only to find them 2-3' from my face!

As I flinched, he made his way out, but at a leisurely pace. I thought to myself, what the hell?; and pulled off a perfectly placed shot and stopped him dead. Not a big fish by the standards around here, but my biggest, at 35lbs.

I have been told by many that they are not fit for consumption, but at this point, I was desparate. I broiled a couple of pieces tonight. I was pleasantly surprised! It was not the best fish I have ever eaten, by a stretch, but it was certainly not horrible, at least to the degree that people have made it out to be. Actually, it was rather bland. Not much taste at all, except for the seasonings that I put on it. The texture was nice. Very firm and tight grained. I like fish this way. I don't like mushy.

I took all the appropriate measures to maintain the best quality of the fish, gilled, gutted, scaled, removing the kidney and icing immediatley upon getting the fish aboard the boat; and removing all of the red meat when processing, once ashore. One might be surprised at how much this improves the quality of a lot of the so-called "inedibles".

I will definately take them in the future, when times are lean, as now.

• Welcome to the brand spanking new Mississippi section, and thank you for inaugurating it with your report.

Cuda not edible? Ba-humbug. My freezer is full of cuda, I don't bother with the groupers and snappers, much better yield and easier to clean is the cuda. A 35 pounder is a big cuda no matter who or where you are. Too bad you stoned it, it gives a few good runs that are sure to get your rocks off. I'd guess whatever misgivings you had about the taste are due to the propaganda you've been exposed to. Once you get used to the idea of eating cuda I think you will relish it. On the other hand I have seen a difference in cuda meat quality from region to region. The last ones we got with Rolo out of Ft. Pierce were really superior. Plus shooting cuda will have the good effect of taking pressure off some other fish.

Can I please have a pic of a MS caught fish for the forum thumbnail?

• Thanks for the new section Dan!

Unfortunately, I don't have any "glory" pics of fish from MS. My current avatar is the best picture I have from our local waters. I have some friends with some great pictures, but I would of course, have to get their permission.

As for going for a joyride, I have leaned the hard way, that stoning a big fish while freediving on the rigs around here is definitely in one's favor. The water is friggen deep around here, and if you don't get a good handle on the fish, like RIGHT NOW he's going deep only to tear off, or the line is going to have to be cut.

Floatlines are asking for trouble in the rigs. Reel guns are the way to go and one had better know WTF is going on or one of three things is going to happen: the fish will be lost, the gun will be lost or the diver will be lost!

• Thanks for the pic John, it is a good one. It is my sad duty however to inform you that stringent forum policy does not allow a member to represent more than one regional section, so I had to use a picture of fuzz that I stole from SB for the Cali section :( Fuzz, I hope you don't mind? OK, enough derailing..

• Cuda is sold in Venezuela at the same price as snapper. Here in Puerto Rico, they have a high rate of ciguatera and I miss eating them a lot!
    Best fish for ceviche. Ever.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Definitely going to make ceviche with it! I am also planning to try out a few different methods. I kept the collars, ribs, and lower tail section to put in the smoker. I will try deep fry as well.

I forgot to mention that I also took a spade fish on this trip, just to give a try.

• you will be happy with the spade as well..I love em ..I grill the spades whole...just make three of four vertical slashes in the skin and marinate in italian dressing for a little while...then throw straight on the grill....as it cooks, the skin will peel back a little and can be pulled off very easily after done...tasty fish

i like to spear fish

• cudas are good. very nice eating fish , not tomessy to clean and the texture is one of the bests. that cobe should be good. I've never eaten them but heard that too big don't taste to good , but smaler are better.

• I grew up eatin cuda in hawaii... haven't eaten it in recent years now that ciguateria is so prevalent.

Only thing I can't stand about em - the damn stinky slime. :(

• I love deep fried cuda chunks. Just have to make sure it is skinned and that the chunks are roughly 1.5 cubes this way it stays moist in the inside. Hit it with a mix of lemon/lime juice, salt and garlic as soon as it comes out of the fryer and its ready to eat. I can almost taste it.