Lost Wax concept gun

• Well, I finished the spring resetting line release. This one is a smaller version of the design that I have been using for a while, but I reduced the max diameter to 1/4", and it is just a bit over 1" long. Because there is little room under the line release, I installed a threaded insert and machine screw, instead of using a normal wood screw.

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• If you look at the pic hard the sharkfin tab looks like a chip in the CF tube. But then I was thinking WTF is there wood in the track LOL The little bit of wood visible through the line release slot threw me off.

• Finally about done, though I may still reshape the handle a bit. I really like the way the bands lay from the angled back of the band slot.

I learned a lot on this build, and some of it will definately show up in future guns. One of the things that I like best about the heavy walled carbon fiber barrel is that it's damn near bullet proof. None of the little dings and scratches that are so hard for me to avoid in the normal construction of a wood gun.

• Tin Man----WOW, what a beauty :thumbsup2:
    Your craftsmanship and skill never ceases to amaze me :thumbsup2:
    Even the weave of the carbon fiber looks perfectly straight :thumbsup2:
    What is most amazing to me is that you envisioned, designed and built almost every piece of that whole gun. :thumbsup2:
    Congratulations on another exceptional piece of spearing art. :fanwave: :hail1:
    ________

• BOW DOWN...wow jeff, hau is right, a work of art indeed :)

i stared at the first pic for a good minute just trying to figure out how the gun was floating like that DUHH haha

i like to spear fish

• Tin Man----she is beautiful :thumbsup2:
    Since I do not have any true CF build experience, I am interested in the specs of your LWCG (Lost Wax Concept Gun). With your previous detailed posts about the design and production, I was curious about other factors related to your beautiful LWCG, like:
    1. What is the weight of your LWCG ready to hunt, with reel, spear, bands, etc?
    2. Did you build your LWCG as a floating gun?
    3. Do you have the mold to produce more LWCGs?
    4..Where on the gun is the handcuff attachment loop? (I would never take this gun out of the house unless it was cuffed to my wrist:D)
    5. Last, but most important, I would like to be the FIRST to offer to FIELD TEST your beautiful LWCG. The warm and sunny waters of Miami Fl. would be much more suited to field testing your beautiful LWCG than Baton Rouge, La. weather for the next month or so. :D
    Thanks Tin Man for this latest work of spearing art:toast:

• Nice work Jeff. I can't begin to imagine all the work you put into this gun. If you're doing another one I think it would be nice with the barrel having the same profile throughout the length of the gun. Probably less work too.

• "Test it" for me, huh? I've already mailed you one gun today to play with. :D

It's not intended to float with the shaft in. Right now, it weighs 4.5 lbs with bands and a 5/16" shaft, but it probably still needs a little ballast up front. I have a Riffe Horizontal reel on the way that I'll use on this sometimes, and I'm waiting for that to arrive before I do final ballasting.

Unfortunately with Lost Wax, there is no mold in the traditional sense. I do have the aluminum pieces that I used to form up and pour the wax brick, but after that, it's one at a time.

• If you're doing another one I think it would be nice with the barrel having the same profile throughout the length of the gun. Probably less work too.

You are 100% right on that. If I did another one, especially if it was a rear handled gun, I would simplify even further and eliminate the wood inside. Then just pour the rear full of epoxy up to the point where the trigger mech is installed.

A constant profile gun, without the wood inside, would actually not be to difficult.

• I finally got a chance to try this gun out on the rigs yesterday with Griswold, John Hanson, and a couple other great guys. I intended to shoot a 9/32" shaft with this gun, but a 5/16" was all I had laying around when I got the invite. The gun still shot beautifully, with great balance, and easy to hold and swim with.

I shot a few smallish triggerfish and mangrove snapper and was feeling good about the accuracy of the gun, but when Chad finally convinced me to take a shot on the AJs that were everywhere, I almost missed! The shot held, but it was high and just in front of the dorsal, so it didn't hurt or slow him down AT ALL! I have a new respect for these things. I needed a little help at the transom to keep him from tearing off at the last second, but he ended up in the boat. 41 lbs gutted, so maybe 45 or 46 whole.

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• Tin Man--ya mon, congratulations on your new gun AND very nice fish :thumbsup2:
    I can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories :popcorn3:
    You gotta be very proud of your beautiful gun creation :thumbsup2:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• what do you think was the issue with the aim? bad shaft and band configuration, inadequate balance? Noodle arm?

glad you got soem blood on it and that AJ sounds like horse!!

i like to spear fish