Black Delrin handles with Shapelock grip

• I have 2 of these handle frames left from my last batch. These have a footprint that is the same width and length as the Wong handles. The three hole screw pattern is also the same, except that the rear screws are straight, instead of angled. I also drill the screw holes with a flat bottom countersink, instead of a typical countersink, so the plastic won't crack.

The trigger slot is 9/32" wide (vs. 1/4" for the Wong) so the handle will work with the standard Neptonics Reef and Tuna trigger mechs.

Bare frames are $55 shipped, and frames with a shapelock grip are $65.

This is my handle, with a Wong handle for comparison. You can see that the trigger guard on mine is rounded, and just a little deeper. This pic also shows the difference in the rear screws.

One guy wanted green and black, so I've been playing around a little with that, in addition to the standard black.

• The current handles run for 49 usd, and they still look too "Aimrite" . I got a 60" Magnum Hybrid in a trade, and let me tell ya, that is one accurate and powerful rig. The gun is so good that I sold my other guns and i kept just one. Only thing I did different was rigging a larger shaft as advised by a friend and bingo, the gun is dead on. I wish i had rigged a larger shaft in my other Wongs that had like just 7 inches of overhang.

Mr Wong sent me a lot of free stuff for that gun. He did it just because, more than 100 usd worth in spearfishing material and apparel stuff. I am not alone, he apparently do that a lot with his other customers, I not even got the gun from him. I guess he´s sticking with the same handle, cause he doesn´t find a better one for it. The handle offered here has a curved handle that is not only stronger but far better ergonomic wise.

The other thing would be order the gun without handle. Aimrite stuff used to be expensive as hell and not so good quality.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• yup, now that I think about it. I have seen some DW guns ordered with Alexander´s Tho. Some people seem to like those aimrite handles. I blown like 5 myself, this last one has not failed yet, maybe when they split DW got the patent and did it right. Probably so, cause he is concerned with top quality.

• My issue is not with the Aimrite handle durability, although that really puts the icing on the cake. It's just a terrible handle from an ergonomic standpoint. And Mr. Wong is not concerned with top quality, he's concerned with top profits which is another way of saying lowering costs, otherwise he'd have had another handle designed a long time ago.

• They can´t be as awful as Riffes comp and standard handles, and still those are some tough and durable as ugly and huge as they are. They are large, they are ugly, but i would say they are still top quality. I define quality as tough as nails. I don´t know why they just can come up (all manufacturers) with better ergonomic handles tho. Kitto Handles are undestructible, but still huge and ugly as well.

I have been diving the Pacific coast with Gon, and the heavy surf and huge waves from coast to reach for the reefs would make friigging Mauna loa a quiet place. Those whashing over stones and rocks really do put the gear to an extreme test. I found out that no railgun will ever pass the heavy surf washing and sand in the trgiger mechs. All trigger mechs got stuck with sand. Riffes and Wongs were as reliable as a nail over hard wood.

Edited once, last by monster slayer ().

• You should, but this is what you'd have to match. Don't forget the barrel bottom is rounded, and there's not enough room for a flat mount handle.

Riffe handles are tough. They are also poor ergonomically. But at least there's something to grab (euro handle excluded). The Riffe handles are not a good design IMO, but not nearly as bad as the Aimrite handle.

• You should, but this is what you'd have to match. Don't forget the barrel bottom is rounded, and there's not enough room for a flat mount handle.

Riffe handles are tough. They are also poor ergonomically. But at least there's something to grab (euro handle excluded). The Riffe handles are not a good design IMO, but not nearly as bad as the Aimrite handle.

You've mentioned your distaste for Aimrite handles for a while, but I never really knew why. While I've swapped out my aimrite for an alexander on my ono gun, I don't have anything against them.
    A bit bulky... but smaller than a riffe handle.
    Gets your hand a lot higher than a riffe handle.
    While the alexander handle feels nicer in my hand (mainly due to palm swell), the wong handle doesn't twist as much.

One problem the handles had was that they would sometimes break due to tapered countersink holes creating a weak point, especially when over-tightened. Since they've recently changed to flat-bottom countersink holes, the issue has been rectified & I believe DW has offered an exchange for anyone worried about breaking. I personally never had a hanle break before, so not sure what some of these people are doing to their handles...

I thought the new European handles were awkward looking & even felt awkward when putting my hand around them:
    http://www.abellansub.com/productos.php?op=11&PHPSESSID=9d25ff73ce880cf7f3d12abb9abaeb61
    But in reality, it creates a very stable shooting platform.

• I thought the new European handles were awkward looking & even felt awkward when putting my hand around them:
    http://www.abellansub.com/productos.php?op=11&PHPSESSID=9d25ff73ce880cf7f3d12abb9abaeb61
    But in reality, it creates a very stable shooting platform.

That's what a handle is all about, a stable shooting platform. You just have to not overdo it in the other direction where the handle can only be gripped in a specific way, so as to be impossible to grip when taking unconventional shots. It's a fine balance but I have achieved it for myself with the wood handles I make. It's understandable that everyone has different hands, but I believe some elements stay the same. Obviously IMO neither the Aimrite handle nor the Riffe handle incorporate those elements. And it's not that I have something against the manufacturer. Whenever someone asks which is the best gun to buy the only thing that's stopping me from wholeheartedly recommending a Riffe competitor series as the gun of choice is the handle. All the other details that I like my speargun to have which Riffe doesn't have such as enclosed track etc. are negotiable, the handle isn't.

• That's what a handle is all about, a stable shooting platform. You just have to not overdo it in the other direction where the handle can only be gripped in a specific way, so as to be impossible to grip when taking unconventional shots. It's a fine balance but I have achieved it for myself with the wood handles I make. It's understandable that everyone has different hands, but I believe some elements stay the same. Obviously IMO neither the Aimrite handle nor the Riffe handle incorporate those elements. And it's not that I have something against the manufacturer. Whenever someone asks which is the best gun to buy the only thing that's stopping me from wholeheartedly recommending a Riffe competitor series as the gun of choice is the handle. All the other details that I like my speargun to have which Riffe doesn't have such as enclosed track etc. are negotiable, the handle isn't.

Perhaps it's lack of use/familiarity/water-time? I've used the aimrite for quite a bit and have grown to appreciate the design.

My primary annoyances (not problems, just being picky) are that the finger grooves feel odd when carrying at soldier-at-arms &/or the odd thumb shot for holed up fish. The lack of a palm swell is also noticeable, but as you use it, you begin to notice how your hand automatically slides up to the speargun stock and creates a solid base. There are pros/cons to it and if I had one lying around, I'd use it on my homemade spearguns. (though... I'd prefer Tin Man's handles, because if you're gonna make a custom gun, you might as well have a custom grip!)

I agree the Riffe Competitor stock is a great smaller game stock & the Standard stock is good for more power. It's a shame the handle is an ergonomical atrocity, otherwise I'd recommend them more too. I've used the riffe range(metaltechs to mids to competitors & euros) quite extensively and still own a half dozen of them. The only one I haven't shot a lot is the Standard series, but was impressed using the S4 (Baja) when I did get to use it for a day. Nevertheless, unlike the Aimrite (now DW) handles, I've never grown an appreciation for the Riffe handles or the way they attach them in a manner that lowers your hand placement.

• BTW, I know it's all personal preference - just verbalizing some of the details that I personally like/dislike as a result of extensive use of both handles.

(The newer riffe mid-handle & euro handles are a whole other thread).

Sorry for the hijack Jeff! :)