Tow BoatUS

• Now that I have a boat I wanted towing insurance. I had a choice between Seatow and BoatUS. They offer similar services at similar prices so it wasn't an obvious choice. I went with Tow BoatUS for a few reasons.
    1. I see their boats all the time when I go out of Haulover, makes sense to me that they'd be available for a quick response in my area. I understand that the quality of service differs from each provider depending on the location.
    2. They go out to sea 137 miles in our area. Not that I ever plan to go that far.
    3. The membership is for the person not only the boat. So if I'm on someone else boat I can get service without playing games/tipping. I'm not sure if Seatow offers this but I was told that at least they didn't used to.
    4. I got a West Marine membership included in the total price which gives me $10 back on each $250 you spend in the store.

Another little bonus I got after my application couldn't be processed online. So I went to the West marine store which is 5 minutes away from my house. Turns out that it's cheaper to do the membership in the store than online or over the phone. I got the unlimited towing/West marine membership & the additional trailer service all for $150.

I can't speak yet for the quality of their service when I call them, and I hope I never have to, but the one time when I was on Pantoja's boat and his engine wouldn't start BoatUS came promptly and towed us to his dock. That was the day a grouper took my shaft deep into a hole and I couldn't recover it.

• 3. The membership is for the person not only the boat. So if I'm on someone else boat I can get service without playing games/tipping. I'm not sure if Seatow offers this but I was told that at least they didn't used to.

Very very very important to remember this. It's how they get you. Your coverage only applies if the boat owner is not onboard. Otherwise they say it is his responsibility and your coverage is no good.

So if they ever ask say he let you borrow the boat for the day.

Davie Peguero

• so if you loan your boat to someone and they have a problem, the craft will not be protected?
    not sure who you'd lend your boat to, but something to consider

i like to spear fish