On the water emergency help numbers

• In Miami if there's an emergency while out on a boat, who to call for help? What are the numbers? I'm not talking about mechanical problems. Let's say in case of someone seriously injured, the boat sinking, or getting into a dangerous confrontation with another boat and crew.

• If you have a radio channel 16, if a cell phone I guess 911 will redirect your call to coast gaurd?

Coast guard is probably the only people with the equipment to help unless you can get to land.

That answers the first 2.

The last question I guess would be in your hands. You can always carry a firearm on board if it ever gets to that.

Davie Peguero

• *FWC
    Ch 16 on VHF

Get a CWP if you're gonna carry on board. I know first hand, that officers will treat you a little different when you're licensed to carry.

Edited once, last by Mariner ().

• I am a Coastie that works in SAR. If you call 911 then the dispatch has to call the command center who then dispatches the assets. Call the Sector Miami number to get the emergency contact number that calls directly into the command center to get the quickest response in an emergency. Google gave me this number for the main contact to Sector Miami, (786) 777-0169.

As far as LE stuff, CG will not take care of misdemeanors and state laws unless witnessed by the CG members. Not sure what the state guys do but I would find out what the emergency FWC number is in that area and keep that handy as well. 911 is usually a local land based dispatch and will probably have to contact the FWC separately which slows down response time. Let me know if you need further help.

• some ass hat gets loud about you diving on his spot and tries to hurt you/ ram your boat/ run over a diver out of anger.

or any other situation involving an ass hat off south florida.....

i like to spear fish

• :laughing:

some ass hat gets loud about you diving on his spot and tries to hurt you/ ram your boat/ run over a diver out of anger.

or any other situation involving an ass hat off south florida.....

I thought that for those situations it's the coast guard? FWC is for the enforcement of laws regarding fishing no?

• you are right, I would say that the only reason to have FWC would be to report someone for poaching, robbing traps, dive flag violations....etc.

and in a bad confrontation, any authority is welcome to help dispell anger.

i like to spear fish

• I was under the understanding that the FWC takes care of state waterborne LE in Florida. Up here it's the State Troopers. CG will take care of alot of LE stuff but many times, if we don't witness it there is nothing we can do. If someone is breaking a state law then we can only detain them anyway and give them to the local or state LE authorities. If it's outside of state waters, then yes, CG would be the main point of contact. Keep in mind that local rules and cooperation may be different in Florida. It would be worth talking to the different authorities to find out what they suggest for who you should contact for what.

My location says Pensacola but I won't be down there for a few more weeks.

• I thought that for those situations it's the coast guard? FWC is for the enforcement of laws regarding fishing no?

There's got to be a reason they carry guns on them.

If you are out of ft lauderdale there is a marine police station next to the ramp by the inlet. They have about 8 boats in the water ready to go. Might be worth it calling them in an alterication, that's proably who 911 contacts for water emergencies.

But regardless if you have a radio and ask for help on channel 16 everyone and their mother will come to assist in a heartbeat.

Davie Peguero