Cressi Reaction

• I started with Cressi gara 2000's, and they were great starter fins but, the fixed footpocket means that neither you, nor your diving ability, are allowed to grow or you'll need new fins soon :)

i like to spear fish

• I don't spearfish, and I'm just starting out. I spend a lot of time in shallow water, but I want to start practicing deeper dives. With that in mind, I was looking at the Gara 3000 LDs, but I feel they would be a bit long and cumbersome in shallow water. If you don't think that would be a major issue, let me know. I think they're something like 33" overall aren't they? Nobody really addressed whether the Reaction Pros would be a good choice for my situation or not.

• What was your situation specifically, you never stated what you were using them for in the initial post. How shallow is the water?
    I had some short fins when I just started out and I just ended up returning them and buying some Cressi fins. I was shore diving to water that was around 10 to 15 feet back then and that is pretty shallow.
    So if your in a similar situation buy the cressi or some other long fin.

• Kyle, you're right, I didn't specify what my situation was. Sorry about that. I was just kind of looking for some general input on those specific fins from anyone who had perhaps used them. Both of these latest posts helped a lot though. I think I'll just go with the Gara 3000 LDs then, and if I decide they're too cumbersome then I'll pick up a second set of shorter ones for diving around docks and such. Thanks a lot guys.

• If you're ever going to freedive/spearfish, so go and get some freediving/spearfishing fins. The 3000 LD are a good choice. Don't loose your money/time getting something that you will end changing pretty soon.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I don't have experience w the reactions, but idid get gara hf 2000's and they are fine in shallow water...they are stiffer than the 3000's so perhaps the 3000s are a better starter.

there is a tension in this sport that you will soon come to know which is the cost of gear vs the need for it. as an example, when i started diving I was using a US Divers set for 40 $ that I bought at sports authority and a fiberglass polespear, I could get fish, but I felt the limitations of my gear very quickly. I upgraded my fins and mask together to a Riffe sight mask and cressi gara 2000's. at that time I had a lot of friend telling me to wait and just get a really nice mask and carbon fins. I decided that was too pricey and I bought them.I love the fins and the mask but quickly found that the mask, while 100x better than my previous mask, stilll had too much volume for my comfort and was bulky on my face so I kept the fins and got another mask, the technisub micromask..I also went on to buy the awesome pursuit carbon 90cms.

the point is that there is acceptable gear, good gear, and garbage gear.

you can buy a lot of acceptable gear or just a few pieces of good gear (this take trial and error).

for you, i would say, get something inexpensive to see if you like this sport and want to make it part of your life, and if you do, then upgrade to the best gear you can cos it will save you money over the long haul.

i like to spear fish

• Wow. Thanks for all the great input everyone. It was tremendously helpful, but at the same time has made the decision more difficult! I love swimming and being in the water, so I'll always make time for it. With this new information, I may just have to get both the Gara 3000 LDs and the Mares fins Dan suggested. After all, what's wrong with being able to adapt to multiple situations? Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

• does it have to be gara ot mares? dan sells some good fins just send him a pm and he might be able to help. I have two pairs of gara and still got his. he got some that are not too long or short for the matter.

• I agree, I think you should by a nice set of longblades and try them in the shallow areas you are talking about, if they are a PIA or you dont like them for that application, the mares are always available and you might save the cost on something you wont use too often

i like to spear fish

• yeah itd prob be smart to jsut buy the longfins and try them, i dont think theyll be a hastle and you'll prob find urself not wanting to be in water less than 10 feet deep anyway,, but if you do want to stick in the shallows then decide to buy some short fins

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I was in turks and caicos islands with my fins and had to get in the water in 1 to 3 ft for a few hours and even though my fins are the long ones they worked perfect. the problem here is that once you get used to them it doesn't matter where you are you'll be allright. on the other hand if you use a short pair of fins once you are used to the long ones you'll feel like you don't have any fins at all or you'll feel unconfortable. it has happened to me before.

• Marco, you mentioned the Mares Razors. I had actually been considering them as well, but I just heard so many good things about the Cressis that I pushed the Mares aside. I'm going to take all the advice I've received here and purchase long fins first, so the question now is: Cressi Gara 3000 LDs or Mares Razors? I'm not really predisposed toward either brand.

• i really dont know the dive community in your area, is there anyone who has any long fins for you to try in a pool? if so, someone call tell you the relative stiffness of them and give you a comparison.

I didn't like the 3000's cos they were too soft for me, but ta lot of people say the 2000's are too stiff, so do you tend to like stiffer of softer fins

i like to spear fish