dive (spearfishing) ALONE..

• I noticed some of you guys go spearfishing alone some times..Im lookin forward to it...Im so sick and f*ckin tired to beg some friends to dive with me..( and the shitty thing is that they r spearfishers too,they r too lazy you know college kids)its shore diving not deep.. I know the risk but what the hell...got no choice..so just wanted to hear some advices and important points on your solo dives..hau i know you dive alone sometimes for your daily reports..what do you guys recomend me?...

• Just do it.

It's the best way to start IMO. You may run into problems but you'll solve them yourself and gain a self confidence in the water that you never would otherwise.

Use a float that will keep your catch out of the water so as not to attract sharks. The float could also be something you can hang on to and rest. Stash some water and a cell phone in a waterproof pouch in the float. Also some money if you get swept far away from your starting point and need to pay a car to get back.

• I started solo and still dive solo, I have made stupid mistakes and learned from them on my own.

I don't understand why you would beg someone to go out with you. One thing though you gotta look out for boats on your own when ascending and around these waters you can have a silent killer sail boat or an idiot on a rental jet-ski pass 10 feet away from you. That raises the hair on the neck.

• you can have a silent killer sail boat or an idiot on a rental jet-ski pass 10 feet away from you.

I have had a sail boat pass less then 10' in front of me on a solo dive before i ever noticed it.

The jet-ski's are also VERY dangerous. You don't hear them coming often.

if you're not familiar with the beach you're diving try spending a few days just hanging out on the sand to see whats happening.(boats,ski's and such) so you know what to expect.

• thanks for the advices guys..DAn I made one of my bodyboards a float with a big big flag..I use your bodyboards examples to build it cause of the drunk jet ski drivers..I really use and learn from the posts here..the bodyboard float is great i used it to rest and for the big flag but is not attached to my speargun ..I got some of the floats that dive shops sell with another flag attached to my speargun you know less drag i dont know if i spell that right...It got a line and in the end its a mares little purse (I found it in one of my dives in the bottom).. with weights in to keep the bodyboard steady so the current dont get it to far from me..Im always aware of the weather report for surfing and spearfishing so i try to go out in flat seas..Im going to start using the bodyboard float to keep the fish out of the water.. Kile C I beg because when I started I was scared like hell to be alone.. I call it begging but not in that way..its like will you go to the water with me?? something like that..i hate begging honestly..because in my first dives saw some very big sharks but that was years ago.. so now i got more expirience and im more confident on my skills...Lunkerbuster boats traffic here sometimes gets really heavy..thats why i build the float with a big flag...the flag is a top priority here..i use 2 flags imagine that..even with the flag the boats get close..with the little one..with both they see me from far distance thats somehow relaxing..:)BTW Dan the "just do it" was very encouraging Im not sure if that is the correct word in english..I felt pomped up!!..en espa-ol me senti bien pompiao!!..

• Sail boats are the worst cause you kick yourself for not noticing them before they are right on top of you.

• some of my dive spots the boats pass far...only in one spot (and for my bad luck its the richest reef i spearfish) in saturdays and sundays you cant touch the water there are sooo many many jet skis and boats its scary lookin at them passing by from shore...

• hi,
    the advise you get here from some others are very good. JET SKIS are very hard to hear most times.
    beeing overrun, damaged and almost killed by boats already, i would mention boattraffic as the number one
    danger of diving alone. these days i dont do much solo shorediving again, because i am kind of traumatized
    from my accident, so i keeping my head most times out of the water instead of under, wich dont make the diving so effecient and fun, as it used to be.
    big float and flag, ears always open, (you may take a look at the thread "hoods"in this forum), because using a hood can minimize your hearing options a lot.
    to me the best thing about solo diving is what dan mentioned. you will learn to deal with any problem by yourself. you will have to. once you dont push yourself too hard, and prepare yourself and your gear properly, you will have some great expierience.
    about 80- 90% of my diving i am doing alone, and i really like it.
    and if you into that, meditate or pray before the dive.
    blessings

• thanx tinu for the advice..I know the feeling when you cant enjoy your dive because of the jet skis and boats..it happened to me a couple of times ...It sucks really bad..like you said I had to keep my head out of the water to see jet skis..it difficult to hear them..thats why i did the big flag..what kind of accident did you have?..

• Personally,I don't care to dive solo. I'm not that experienced with freediving and I've always been taught that it's not a good idea to go out alone. In my personal opinion. I would be tempting fate. But to each his/her own.
    Good luck :cool2: