Spearing sharks

• Well, we were fishing in an area that is known by the dense shark population. I remember that once i lost 4 hogs to the bastards in four different spots during one diving day!

Well, again, I descent to make an aspetto and Fernando made some noise from the surface pointing me in one direction (behind me). There was this shark that appeared from nowhere and was coming directly in my direction. When I turned my face into him, he turned and I aimed to the gills but the shot was placed a little behind, probably because of his reaction when I turned and shot.

The shot was holding well and after some water skying I told Fernado to place a second sho,t so we could haul it to the boat and finish him.

Even if Fernando has made impressive progress in his freediving, he is still a novice, since he has been spearing "seriously" for no more than two years. He's got tremendous phisical conditions since he was part of Spain swimming team and sometimes we forget that he's still a newbie (MY BAD!).

He asked where to place the shot and I told him to try to take a head shot because is easier to control the shark (they normally don't die unless you give them 100 knife cuts in the head!). But I forgot the little detail to tell him to avoid getting too close because they tend to charge you in self deffense.

What happened next is self explanatoy in the video. We were VERY lucky than no one got hurt. I lost a RA shaft (was all rusted btw) and that was it.

Sharks are good eating though. I like them in nuggets (and my kids just love them!).

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Since sharks have no urinary tract and urine accumulates in the blood before secretion through their skin, sharks must be bled immediately after capture. If a shark is not bled or improperly handled, it will smell of ammonia.and taste a little like it. This might help for those who like shark :)

• Great thread Dan and a lot of interesting perspectives. On the west coast Thresher and Mako sharks are targeted pretty heavily by h&l fisherman. Both of which are top quality meat. Other two common sharks that come to mind is Great White (protected) and the Blue shark. Which is considered poor table fair due to the high ammonia levels the meat gives off.

I personally am not for or against the taking of sharks. I think with all spearfishing, responsible take is what should always be at the top of the divers priority. In self defense situations it is obviously a no brainer. Do I think it is ok to consistently target sharks. Probably not. But again I dont see that being the case with divers either. They are an important part of the food chain and a lot harder to replace then other fish. If I was put in a situation where it was me or the shark. I wouldnt think twice.

• I think its more of a PR issue. All of the bad press from finning. If I were to shoot a big angel shark 50+ lbs I would not post any pics and would make sure the general public were not around. I would enjoy the steaks grilled or as tacos if I were to shoot one. If I were in another country I would follow the custom.

Mike

Edited once, last by ladvr ().

• I think its more of a PR issue. All of the bad press from finning. If I were to shoot a big angel shark 50+ lbs I would not post any pics and would make sure the general public were not around. I would enjoy the steaks grilled or as tacos if I were to shoot one. If I were in another country I would follow the custom.

Mike

angel sharks can be mean S O B s.( Angel tacos)mmmmm

• Well as many know, I live from fishing and some of my clients are restaurants and they ask me for sharks but in this case I went out shark fishing but as I had eaten a good size king mackerel, decided to catch one of the largest it was shot in the brain where it is assumed but was near the spine hurt to swim and I could carry to the boat where as usual with a long knife to kil him

I use a small buoy aimrite when the area where I fish is under 80 feet deep but when in the area are areas of more than 100 feet aimrite use a large buoy that has more than 100 pounds of flotation