Spearing sharks

• Currently it's illegal to spear sharks in Florida, but it is legal in other states and countries. I believe it should be legal for a few reasons; it allows the spearfisher to defend his catch without the moral hindrance of the shark going to waste if it's been killed. Sharks are good to eat and have a lot of yield. Spearing sharks will take pressure off other species as one shark has more meat than many other harvested fish put together. Most importantly it allows a diver to confront a shark with a predatory mindset which puts the diver at less of a risk than if he were to react defensively.

Here's some interesting shark spearing footage.

• This is a picture of Wally Gibbins, an Australian spearfisher and a Tiger shark. Although the shark was killed with a powerhead I think it is still appropriate because Gibbins invented and made that powerhead and used it with a pole spear. Also it's an old picture at the time of which I would think taking a shark of that size freediving was very challenging and took a lot of cojones.

• Shooting or killing a shark for self defense is an odd experience. I would rather not. Shooting a big shark for sport is suicidal in the case you get entangled with the line. They are fast powerful non stopping swimers once speared

With a regular spear i mean. A ph is another story

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• About 5 or 6 years ago me and my friend Rodolfo mi(pana) decided to go for a day of spearfishing. We went to fajardo in Puerto Rico. and we were upset because we couldnt find a boat to take us to one of the close island early in the morning. and after waiting like 3 hours i was ready to call it quits. and he told me to wait . so i did. We finally got a boat to take us to this little island around 12pm. we only had about 3 hours of hunting before the boat will come to pick us up. So we proceed with the day and the weather wasnt that bad. Visibility was good . But no big fish around , some small snappers and jacks , one or 2 barracudas. I was still upset for wasting all my morning at the dock . about 2pm i hear my name been screamed hard. so i rush to assist my friend who have caugh a small fish and see him spinning and scanning the rocky bottom like he dropped something. very rare of him cause he usually dont act like that. So i drop to see if he droped the knive in the rocks or something else and :0 BOOm there it was a Caribbean Reef Shark checking him out due to the small fish. I intercepted the shark but couldnt get close enough to hit it solidly.My friend at the surface quickly got the small fish and start chumming. and reload. I went up for a breath of air. and lost sight of the shark. Right after i hear the Riffe C3 gun of my friend go off. and i see the floatline and the float rushing next to me., i try to get a hold but then i can see my friend in front of me pulling the shark. the shark holed himself in a very small area. and got stuck and the shaft pulled out. I couldnt see shit because all the sand that the shark lifted. And he wanted me to get in there for a second shot:laughing3:. We waited a little because he was stuck and then he started to get out of the hole and a second shot to the head finish the job. so at the end of the day after waiting all morning we got some good shark meet for home and the good experience to tell:thumbsup2: just wanted to share.

• Good story Core, thanks for sharing. Have you shot other sharks? Where do you figure is the best shot placement to land one?

Well it depends of the shark mostly. A good head shot or to the top, is a good holding shot. I have never seen a kill shot on a shark:rolleyes1:. Those f****rs refuse to die. My friend Rodolfo have kill quite a few of the little gray suits. I have kill like 3 or 4. Always take a second or third shot to subdue. I have seen them still alive out of the water after an hour or so. Knife to the head is the best result IMO. But for that the shark need to be really tired and still i don't recommend getting to close, Just for safety. I never recommend face a shark all by yourself, even though i have seen and i have done it myself. I have caught some lemons and reef sharks and shame on me a big nurse shark once.:(. I have to admit i will never kill one of those again. I was so frustrated because i got a bad day in the water and i have friends going to the house and i was planning to cook for them. So i kill it for been in the wrong place at the wrong time;) My friend Rodolfo landed this Shark Hammer Head around the 350# with little assistance,No boat just a nice swim of about a half a mile give or take. And then have to pull the SOB all the way to shore:0. Imagine pulling that for half mile. I bet it felt like a 5 mile run.
    BTW he is not carrying the shark he is kneel in the water and the wave help getting him to the to of the leg.

• Thanks for the tips Core. Antoine Berry in one of the videos above does not recommend shooting the shark in the head. I believe a stone shot is very unlikely and he says that the shark goes crazy and becomes dangerous when shot in the head. On the other hand shooting the shark towards the rear will tire it out putting the diver at less risk. At least that's the theory and I wanted to know what you thought about it.

In Cuba subsistence spearfishers will kill nurse sharks for food when they can find them. I know the feeling when you see nothing all day and finally you have this big beast in front of you. However I tried nurse shark meat and didn't like it. Since then every time I saw the cuban spearfishers carrying one I thought "abusadores". But you have to see it from their POV also, none of that fish goes to waste. And they do risk their precious shafts and guns to get it when they don't have a powerhead.

• Here's a shark story from Killshot (Eric) and Roberto Reyes.

Day two and Lenny decides after breaking his fins the day before to not dive with us today. After getting the props all fixed up and healthy we head out to the south drop to a place Roberto and I had dove on his previous trip. Lots of pinnacles right near the deep water. Once again in the bluer than blue water we begin the chum dance the bag off the side of the boat, bait fish on the stringers and Steve getting shooting pratice on triggers for fresh chum. We proceed to do this for a few hours and same as the day before. NO hoo's anywere. Water must be to warm. Steve and Roberto and my wife Gail take to the water again and my wfie gets buzzed by a good sized reef shark but plenty safe between Roberto and Steve who are heavily armed. The shark decides better and swims off. After Steve shoots another trigger another reefy gets brave and Roberto lets him have it with his Rob Alexander. Lights out for him. Back in the water for another round Steve gets another barracuda for chum, Roberto gets a good sized horse eye jack and two snappers on one shot on a deep dive to what looked like atleast 80 or 90 feet. After about 20 minutes more we start to drift off the deep side of things and I begin really chumming up some more fresh cuda and notice way down deep some reefies moving really fast around the bait and quickly eating it up. I look up out of the water and over towards Roberto and ask if he had seen the all the sharks tearing up the bait and he acknoledges that he had and how cool it looked. At this time Steve has decided to leave the us and swim back to the boat off away from us and is back at the boat. As I see he is safely there I take a look down and see what looks like one of the reefies coming to have a look at me or my flasher hanging on the float. Admiring the beauty of him I notice he is not really going to slow up and notice as he gets much closer that he is huge and not stopping. Getting closer he turns to my left and lights up in the sun with the ever present stripes of a huge tiger. SHIT!!! Iturn to look and yell to Roberto that there is a tiger here and he is big. I then stick my head back under water to keep my eye on the shark and shorlty after feel Roberto grab my arm to let me know he is there and I am not alone. As the tiger makes a turn back in our direction Rob gives the shark a charge as if to try and scare the beast off only to have it redirect itself head on towards me with the jaws opening. With gun pointed towards the shark in seld defense and about ready to shoot the best less than 10 feet away Roberto decides the shark is moving to fast at me and getting way to close and agressive and last his shaft fly. Direct hit behind the eye and the shark veers away just short of us. After a few holy ****s and and screaming for the boat we get in and begin the long task of subdiung the besst and trying to boat it. The whole shark incedent took less than about 20-25 seconds from the time I first seen it to when Roberto blasted it. Needless to say we were never able to get the shark into the boat being that it was a solid 13 footer. After the cleaning and pictures and all the clean up I look back and can only be glad for one thing and that was for having a solid dive buddy. Thanks Roberto!!! Not sure how much a shark like that weighs to give you an idea, three of us could not drag it into the boat and we had to use a small 4x4 off road vehicle to drag it up onto our pier. The jaws we removed were big enough for us to step into and pull up around our waist. Also we noticed that this shark had absolutely nothing in its stomach upon cleaning it. If I could say one thing about bluewater diving, always make sure that your dive buddy is near. Roberto if you have some pics to add please do. Eric

Terry Maas also shot a tiger shark. I'll try to find the story.

I also seem to recall a story of someone that stoned a tiger shark shooting it in the mouth and then dragging it to shore but I don't remember who. Maybe someone from Hawaii.

• Yea i know that story of Roberto, That is something else. A big fat pig with stripe is no fun:D. You right a shot to the mid section or closer to the tail could work too. But i have seen shots taken there. And getting close to the shark afterward for a second shot was close to impossible. About getting them tired, i don't know i used to get tired more quickly than them. So going down was kind of hard with my heart pumping fast. 90% of my shots are close to the gill area, or head. But the easiest shot was to the shoulders and the flopper open in the stomach. or a shot that will cross from one side to the other on the shoulder. But that is my experience. I know there quite a few Puertorricans here that have more experience than me. Marcos even might have way more experience than me. Rodolfo and Roberto Reyes also have caught a good share of the gray suit. So they should post opinions here. Like i say before it depends what the shark give you.(shot angle) and the size and type of shark. You can tell Roberto Shot the Tiger with a protective mind. Trying to help his friend against the shark. The shark wanted a piece of KillShot :rolleyes1:.

• Article HERE. This is not exactly hunting sharks, it was a defensive kill.

• I can´t believe those world class freedivers, didn´t had a P.H. with them

That had happened at least once in a spearo life, it´s an odd experience though.

Have you noticed the notched shafts? I wonder what kind of spearguns did he use to take the bad boy down

• This story should be about the Tin Man pinch weights that enabled Craig to take down the tiger. :thumbsup2:

Regarding guns, at the time, his tuna gun was a Merlo, so that's probably what made the first shot. I understand that he shot it about 6 more times, so I'm sure they used everything they had in the boat.

• Aaron, some are very good.

Monster, yes interesting about not having a PH.

I remember Ryan posting a vid of how he first saw the tiger shark, if anyone can find it please post a link. I know it's on his video page but for some reason I can't see those videos.

• monster slayer---I'm almost positive those are RA shafts shot from RA130's exactly like I use:rolleyes1:

Ummmh Nnnnaaaw, he would certainly stoned him with the first shot if he was using a R.A. :D

This story should be about the Tin Man pinch weights that enabled Craig to take down the tiger. :thumbsup2:

All you crazy cajun bunch, eating tigers for brakefast, I am sure he used Tin mans weights to pummel up the knife into sharky´s ass :D

Sharks are good to eat ?

Aaron, shark machaca burritos are delicious!! dry the meat, pour some sea salt on it, fry it in butter, with some grlic cloves, minced onions, some red peppers and flour tortillas ... That´s some tasty stuff..

The blue tintorera (mako) and cornuda (hammerhead) are the best eating sharks. All sharks are edible though...

And get some lipitrol (as Rolo says) to fight cholesterol :D

• Aaron, shark machaca burritos are delicious!! dry the meat, pour some sea salt on it, fry it in butter, with some grlic cloves, minced onions, some red peppers and flour tortillas ... That´s some tasty stuff..

The blue tintorera (mako) and cornuda (hammerhead) are the best eating sharks. All sharks are edible though...

Now that I think about it. it makes sense. The paddlefish is a a freshwater cousin of the shark and it's damn fine eating. I just had always heard that shark meat smells like urea or ammonia.

• I have eaten shark all my life i beleive is all good eating. I have tried from nurse shark to hammer head and mako. Mako was far down the best one i have ever tried. One trick a chef told me. was to let the meat marinate in milk for a few hours. This will neutralize lots of the oily characteristic of the meat. then season to taste and cook it how ever you like. it makes the meat taste way cleaner and it takes out most of the fishy taste away. In some sharks the meat has a little fishy smell. this process works like a charm:thumbsup2: