Stringing fish on the float line

• It all depends on where you dive east coast it might not be a good system and you can pull a float to hold your catch . On the west coast we have kelp up north guys ab diveing use floats to carry the abs and will toss fish in also ( but down south or up north when just going for fish ) I and most guys I dive with just string fish on our belt . Stringing them away from you just feeds sea lions and we only have white sharks to really worry about inshore . Offshore I just toss fish on the boat . The speed stringers are great for carp Derbys in Lakes and rivers
    Phil

• If in Mexico when diving off our boat, I just toss them in unless I'm too far, then its either belt strung or put on the float. In so cal the only way I string my fish is on my waist stringer, although if you forget it (like I have on a few occasions:rolleyes1:) I put them into my yak or tuck them up in my suit for time being, for small fish up to 6 lbs.

I do think this product has its uses, but mainly on the east coast, for those that use floatlines. I couldn't see anybody using that here on the west coast.

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• Theres been times i'm shooting fish back to back and have to stuff a fish under the wet suit

I guess that's the fish you ditch first if a shark gets too curious?

:)

• It's a good thread though. Sometimes it's nice to pull up the old ones. :D

I want to rig a float stringer system for hunting the shallows. I pass on a LOT of 1 lb snappers and porgies (my favourite eating size) because I'm 50-100 yards from the boat. It's a long swim for a small fish. But I don't like keeping them close of hanging off my waste like Daryl W and Joe do in Hawaii. Barracuda and nurse sharks…and other sharks….
    But Doc and DuQuesnay use an old spear shaft hanging off a styrofoam float. Doc swears it brings in other fish. I'm going to rig one up…..if the weather ever calms down on a Sunday….:(

• When I dive in Hawaii I like to keep the fish off of me and on a float. I have had big eels come in and get too close to me while diving. I had one take a swipe at my heel while cleaning fish in 4 inches of water and not paying attention. I have seen sharks but so far they stay away from my fish but I feel safer having them on a float.

In California I keep them on me because of kelp mainly. Not many sharks or eels either in CA either. Seals and birds will take your fish off of your float freely in CA. In Northern California I have a float of some sort for abalone as others have mentioned.