Range, one vs two wraps of shooting line

• I like weaver style better. I'm sure you can purchase various lengths or a full length and screw it onto a wood gun or pipe so it can be used on any gun. A dovetail would have to be deep in order to hold a load and can crack the gun easily.

Davie Peguero

• I rigged my gun moving the line anchor back to reduce the length of the shooting line. To bring the range down to 1.5 wraps the line anchor/bungee/swivel/pigtail snap assembly ends up exactly at the center of the gun. That is where I like to grip the gun most of the time and it's unacceptable to me to grip all that stuff. I thought of getting rid of the bungee assembly but the pigtail snap is essential for those times where the spear can't be extracted from the fish any other way but unclipping the shooting line from the gun. The swivel is useful too if a fish twists up the line. The bungee I can do without but then it's a problem connecting the swivel to the line anchor and the swivel/pigtail snap are still at the center of the gun. So this way is out for me. My next try is to use a second line anchor for the second wrap. I'll post back on how that goes.

• I rigged the gun as Davie and John suggested, with the extra anchor, I like it. To add range just decide how much more you need past one wrap of line then divide that in half and measure this distance down the stock from the line release. I chose 4ft and so put the 2nd line anchor 2ft away from the line release on the bottom of the gun. Wrapping the line this way is faster than two complete wraps because I don't have to reach all the way to the main line anchor. The 2nd anchor gives me a reference point when I'm gripping the gun because it too is pretty close to the center. I can see no disadvantages and no reason why not to stick with it. I think a 2nd anchor can be glued on a pipe gun if the base is curved and has enough surface area, it's not going to bear that much load.

• Now my range is what it would've been with one wrap of line (15ft) plus 4ft, for a total of 19ft from the gun tip or 26ft from my eye. Decent range I think and about the max that I should be able to hit consistently. If I find that I can't then I'll just reposition the 2nd anchor for less line. The line wrapping is fast and easy, and I don't see any drawbacks to this way of rigging. Thanks again Davie and John for providing me with the solution.

The anchor is just some ss wire bent into that shape. I drilled the holes into the stock at the angle you see the anchor protruding from the wood. I made the holes a hair smaller than the wire. The wire was also not perfectly straight, so being hammered into the hole made it grab better. I dabbed some epoxy into the holes to seal them. The way it is it would be very difficult if not impossible to pull the anchor out with pliers.

• very nice...looks like a clean install, I expect no less...

..what intervals are the marking on the side of the gun? is it a ruler or death tally :) aesthetic flair?

i like to spear fish

• I agree with you Marco, I dont take long shots really either... To me, the advantage of this is that it gives you the option to take the longer shot without too much added work or likelihood of tangles...I dont think I will be doing this to my guns, but I like it way better than two full wraps.

i like to spear fish