Proper Pronunciation

• I know this is trivial, but it always drives me nuts when I find out I've been pronouncing a name wrong. And I always hear many brand names pronounced differently from different people, some of which I've included below. So I'd like input from everyone on the proper pronunciations of the following names:

Mares: like the horse?; marr-ez?; marr-eez?; mars (like the planet)?

Omer: o-murr?; o-mare?

Riffe: riff?; riff-ee?; riffa?

I know there are others that I can't think of at the moment.

• Out of the ones you mentioned I'm only %100 sure about Mares. It simply means seas in Spanish, maybe in Italian too, and is pronounced Ma (as in short for mother) and res (as in the first part of resolution).

Riffe is a family name and as such would be pronounced the way the Riffe family think it should be. Give them a call and ask, I'm sure they won't mind. Actually Don Paul should know since he mentioned he knows Jay Riffe well. I've always pronounced it like the word Life but with an R.

O.M.E.R is an abbreviation which stands for something something factory. As such you can pronounce it any way you like. Most commonly I hear it pronounced as O (like the sound of the English letter) and mer like the french merde where the d is silent which means shit. OK OK that was for Marco :D mer like the first part of Mercury as in Freddie Mercury.. OK that was for Marco too

• LMFAO!!

:laughing3:

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver