Neptonics Trigger Question

• Monster didn't post in this thread :confused1:

My hands are not at all big, what you're seeing there is a handle that was custom made to my hand and as such fits it perfectly. In comparison with Adrian's pic you get the sense that he has a small hand, but it's just that the handle of his gun is big.

• i think there are two issues here: first, the throw of the trigger mech (the amount of pull required for the mech to release the shaft) and second the position of the handle in relation to the trigger.

the neptonics mech has the longest throw of any mech i know of, this is not a bad thing in my opinion and it's a safety feature designed into the unit to make sure the shaft is fired only when intended. i have heard other people mention this but it's something that is easily forgotten after a shot or two. altering the the trigger will only make it unsafe and it's not advisable.

when i take a gun order i ask for the customers hand size and if he/she is right or left handed, an additional question i need to ask is finger length and that's totally my fault and something that i need to clarify in the future. trigger position is somewhat standard and i try to place it around 2.5'' from the crotch of the handle. this is not arbitrary, i have checked many of the euro handles around and they vary from 2.375'' to 2.625''. bellow are pics of four euro handles and a hybrid using an alexander unit with a scale that shows the span between the trigger and the handle, also there is a set of pics showing hand position on them with the trigger finger fully extended and another set with the trigger finger bent on the trigger.

in dans picture the trigger finger is slightly bent to contact the trigger and it's exactly how i like it on my guns and how i like to setup customers guns. in contrast, adrians picture shows his finger fully extended. if you look at the pictures bellow, the trigger on the rabitech handle looks totally wrong when the finger is fully extended but in reality it's not when the finger is slightly bent on the trigger. for me and i need to emphasize that i have rather short fingers, the beuchat has the closest spacing of all the handles i've ever tried and it feels awkward out of the water but once in the water it becomes totally natural and in fact after the demka handle it's my current favorite.

i suggest getting in a pool for some testing to see how the guns behaves and how it feels in your hand. while i can't do anything about the trigger throw the handle could be moved back but i would not move it much and i'm not sure it needs it as it should be in the 2.5'' range already. try it and let me know what you think, i want you to feel totally comfortable with the gun.

• Thanks for the pics Steve. I think this is very informative and later I'd like copy some of the posts, without the reference to Adrian's gun, to a separate thread titled something like trigger positioning.

You are right, when I checked just now the trigger position on the gun I posted, this time with my finger straight, the trigger position was the same as the Cressi and the hybrid in your post #24. BTW is that the Cressi Geronimo handle?

I'd like to add for reference that I've built another gun after the one in the pic, the one I said I put the handle too far and then reshaped the trigger. After reshaping the trigger the position of it with the index finger straight is exactly over the first joint. It works for me pretty good, when I flex the finger the trigger lands on the pad of the finger. It's a simple way of remembering the trigger position so I think the next gun I build will be the same. The distance from the crotch to the front of the trigger is 3".

• yah it's a geronimo handle.

trigger position depends on hand size and even more important finger length. while i try to shape the handle to fit the customers hand, i leave the trigger to handle placement in the 2.5'' range and my reasoning is that if all the euro handles are in the same range they probably know something i don't but the reality is that you could have a medium size hand and long fingers or any combination of the two so it's something that i need to pay more attention to. for me, if the trigger is a little too close it's workable but if it too far then it's not so i guess i would rather err on the side of caution.

steve

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo

• erring on the short side makes a lot more sense than on the long side...thanks for the info Steve.

Dan, in my earlier post i meant Fuzz, not monster, sorry to all...i corrected it

i like to spear fish

• Hello Steve and thank you for chiming in. Here are a few pictures about finger size etc....all these hand pictures and finger length I am surprised Marcos hasn't said anything yet lol. The triger positioning is not something that bothers me, the guys at the forum were who pointed that out and they could be right when they said that maybe I feel the trigger pull too long due to its positioning. I don't know for sure and I don't have a pool where I can fire the gun.

• I'd like to add for reference that I've built another gun after the one in the pic, the one I said I put the handle too far and then reshaped the trigger. After reshaping the trigger the position of it with the index finger straight is exactly over the first joint. It works for me pretty good, when I flex the finger the trigger lands on the pad of the finger. It's a simple way of remembering the trigger position so I think the next gun I build will be the same. The distance from the crotch to the front of the trigger is 3".

Interesting. I have a gun sitting here in my living room that felt perfect distance-wise. Measured it & it was 3" as well.

Here are a couple crappy cameraphone pictures...

Finger extended, trigger falls on first joint:

Finger in firing position... on pad of finger:

I agree with Steve - the industry seems to lean towards a closer spread... perhaps it's a safe bet. From a pure shooting standpoint, the 3" seems just right for my hands. For reference sake, my hands are pretty average... depending on brand, I wear either Medium or Large gloves.

• Hello Steve and thank you for chiming in. Here are a few pictures about finger size etc....all these hand pictures and finger length I am surprised Marcos hasn't said anything yet lol. The triger positioning is not something that bothers me, the guys at the forum were who pointed that out and they could be right when they said that maybe I feel the trigger pull too long due to its positioning. I don't know for sure and I don't have a pool where I can fire the gun.

IMO... that's too close. Especially with the long trigger pull of the reef mechs. Compared to your RA, the distance from handle nook to trigger is shorter and the trigger pull is longer... which compounds the awkwardness.

That being said, it's something you can get used to over time. I have spearguns with similar setups that I still like to shoot. Not the most ideal, but adaptable. :)

• Adrian,

My Denton sits at 2.5 inches if that helps any. But the trigger itself (much wider) is different than any gun i have seen before.

• Its funny you mention that greek, I did a search among your posts and came across one where you introduced your abellan gun but I couldn't find a good shot of the trigger mech area and such. Could you post a couple of pics of your set up?

PS. I hope I can join you at least once in July to do some spearing and see how it behaves.

• Adrian,

My Denton sits at 2.5 inches if that helps any. But the trigger itself (much wider) is different than any gun i have seen before.

Mine too Harry, fits like a glove. My sear releases with a 1/4 '' pull on Tiputa.
    Cheers, Don

• Here are pics of my Denton handle. Victor Abellan's work is so good and innovating. He constantly improves and changes his guns. I am buying the 2010 model 120cm. :thumbsup2: