Neptonics Trigger Question

• Well, I've heard nothing but good thins about the Neptonic's trigger mech. I have a gun with the Reef style mech that shoots euro type shafts. It looks very well made, except for some sharp edges around the line release that I needed to smooth out. I just wanted to ask if it is normal for this particular trigger mech to have such a long trajectory before actually firing the shaft. You'll have to excuse my explanation but I don't know the right words to describe it. All I know is that you squeeze the trigger but it doesn't fire right away, there is some lag to it. Maybe I can post a little video of it later to help you guys understand what I am saying. Is this normal? It could be me, I am so used to my rob allen spearguns firing on the spot that this doesn't seem right.

• does the trigger feel heavy to you or just time delayed? i am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but a long trigger pull is simply a factor of the angles used in it's production, a heavy trigger pull could be an overpowered mech, or in your case a broken mech if you have not changed the power....has it always felt the same way to you?

i like to spear fish

• Adrian, which gun to you have a Neptonics Reef trigger mech in?

I've used the reef mechs in a couple of my guns, I currently have one in my primary gun. I think they're great mechs in terms of price and quality. I've never noticed anything unusual about the trigger pull, the length and weight of the pull are fine by me.

The first Reef mech I got was rough on the edges. I reworked it with the dremel and a sanding disc, not hard to do and everything came out smooth and shiny. The newer production Reef mechs have come well polished without any sharp edges on the trigger or the line release.

I sell the Neptonics Reef mech BTW, $60.

• The gun is a Poseidonsub Euro-Teak 120 that my fiance gave me for my birthday. It hasn't been wet yet but I will get some blood on it on July. I will be visiting my parents and diving AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. The trigger doesn't seem heavy but the actual firing of the shaft is delayed. Like I said I am not used to wood guns or these type of mechs I am just curious to know if this is normal, I don't remember my riffes to be this way either. The actual trigger lever travels about 3/8 in before actually firing. Am I being picky or what? Here are some pictures. By the way the craftsmanship of the gun is top notch and it came with a mori shaft.

• gorgeous...very handsome gun.
    can you post another pic of the muzzle w more of the stock in it please..i want to see how the shape makes the bands lay

i like to spear fish

• Nice looking gun, I'm surprised you didn't show it off before. Kudos to your wife for getting you something for spearfishing. Although I'm not sure she realized you're a pipe gun kinda guy :)

I just measured the trigger pull on my gun which has the reef mech. It is as you say about 3/8". I never paid attention to this detail so obviously it never bothered me. What's more important to me is where the trigger is in relation to my index finger when gripping the handle. Building the gun myself I have control of this detail and I like the trigger just ahead of the first joint. From your pic it looks like the trigger is too close for my taste, this probably exaggerates the feeling of a longer pull.

With my last gun I actually messed up and put the handle too far back. I then cut and bend the trigger backwards, then had the gap filled in by a welder. Actually I went to the same guy you sent me to way back, I think it's off state rd 84. But he doesn't work there anymore. Another fellow there does these little jobs for me at a reasonable price.

BTW I noticed that your gun has an automatic resetting line release which is working off a little tab/extension from the sear. It may seem that the line release doesn't have a very long range of motion, but don't worry about it, it releases the line flawlessly.

• nice work there...i agree about the trigger being just in front of the first joint...if it rests in the joint that is the invitation for all sorts of aiming problems like wrist rotation.

i like to spear fish

• nice work there...i agree about the trigger being just in front of the first joint...if it rests in the joint that is the invitation for all sorts of aiming problems like wrist rotation.

I don't know what joint your are talking about........I don't know much about wood guns explain what you mean. The placement of the trigger is good for my medium size hand.

• Adrian, I think I have one of those triggers mounted on one of my TIKI guns and is the same, way too much space before it shoots, also a pain to load, I try different things like grinding the sear and other parts but the effect is almost the same so I just adjust to that gun and the gun is a 48" mid-handle that i love for dirty/cave hunting, I almost forget about it, but my nephew use it one day and he was pissed after loosing some fish :D

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• Adrian, what i meant, and poorly communicated, is that from the handle the shooter's trigger finger should rest on the trigger with the flesh of the fingerprint, not in the joint of the first knuckle...when you use the fingertip area you are actually pulling the trigger rather than squeezing it. When you pull it is a straight backwards motion and will not move the gun. when you squeeze you tend to rotate your hand as if you were making a fist, this will almost always result in you turning the gun to the inside of your wrist, even if only slightly and effect your aim

I don't know if that made more sense.

i like to spear fish

• Adrian, what i meant, and poorly communicated, is that from the handle the shooter's trigger finger should rest on the trigger with the flesh of the fingerprint, not in the joint of the first knuckle...when you use the fingertip area you are actually pulling the trigger rather than squeezing it. When you pull it is a straight backwards motion and will not move the gun. when you squeeze you tend to rotate your hand as if you were making a fist, this will almost always result in you turning the gun to the inside of your wrist, even if only slightly and effect your aim

I don't know if that made more sense.

Yes it made more sense, I got it now. I checked it and you are both right the trigger lever is almost at the finger joint. This shouldn't be a problem for me since the rob allens fall on the same area as this gun and it never affected my aim. I just wished there was a way to reduce the lag of the trigger mech.....I guess I have to get used to it.

• Adrian, I love the grip on that gun, just had to say. Looks a little big for your hand though like a one size fits all type deal from the manufacturer.

• Yeah, that would be the ideal place I think but I don't think its changeable at this point. This is not like refinishing the wood or applying another layer of finish to the stock. I believe the builder is registered here as Metelin but I am not sure.

That trigger looks like it's set way too far back. It goes from an optimal position on the pad of your pointer finger... to way back in an awkward position. This awkward placement exacerbates the trigger pull and makes it seem longer than it really is.

As for fixing it... either physically alter the trigger like Dan recommended, get used to it, or talk to the gun maker. Steve has made a lot of guns... it's odd to me that he placed it this way. :confused1:

• That is what I was thinking just wanted to smooth it in there.

If the sear releases with the trigger further forward (shorter trigger pull) would it still be awkward to fire?

• The handle is a bit big for my hand but only on the bottom end, the rest is a pretty good fit. The handle doesn't bother me as much as the trigger pull thing. I'll have to send him an e-mail and see if there is anything he can do about it.

• a new trigger that was angled forward would change the placement of your finger but not really adjust the delay...it might, as fuzz said, make a difference in your perception of it though because it would release the spear at a different position of you hand (poorly explained again)

what i mean is...now your hand is almost a closed fist by the time the spear is released..if you could adjust the trigger forward, your hand would be in a different position when the spear released even though it took as much pull to do it.
    the handle is beautiful, i like the shaping a lot.

i like to spear fish

Edited once, last by LunkerBuster ().