Upgraded my OMER t20 Oceanic...KILLER!!!

• i hate to further digress, but I was shooting one 19mm and one 5/8" band on my tito on saturday and I tried several combinations. I shot with just the 5/8 (inline band, tied for 3x stretch) for working the shallow reefs at the end of the day (short shots 2-7 ft), the one 19mm band (Rob Allen brand) which gives me solid power to the end of the shooting line (single wrap) and both bands together.

I really enjoyed shooting with both of the bands together as it was the most powerful setup I have shot and had very good results...I was wondering if you think that might be over powered for a 7.5 mm shaft?

the gun is a wooden stock 120cm euro, foam ballasted

It's largely personal preference. 1 19mm & 1 5/8 band together are roughly equivalent to 3 9/16 bands. Pretty evenly situated between 2 & 3 5/8" bands. I don't think it's overpowered for a 7.5mm shaft, but you may be starting to infringe on the capacity of the gun mass. If you feel comfortable in the shots, then that's the most important aspect - confidence in your setup.

My general rule is... when I can pick my shots and confidently aim for the brain spot right behind the eye... then I feel my balance is right. When I start going for the safe center-gill shots... then I re-evaluate my band/shaft/gun dynamic. Sometimes the center-gill shots and more power ARE the appropriate setup, but it's a good rule to take subjective instances and make more objective decisions. :)

• Fuzz i am after power. i wont shoot anything 2-3lbs. i use fish that big for bait! lol i do understand what your saying about recoil with a lighter gun. ive got 3 metal guns, the omer 110s carbon, Mako 120 pro oceanic coming, and hopefully soon ill be able to get a great wood gun. i like the wong, but Steve at Poseidonsub and Hamilton spearguns are true works of art. Ill get one of these great wood guns as soon as i can make up my mind. they are all great powerhorses. thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it!

• that is a great answer to my question Fuzz, thanks for your opinion, i will focus on the setup as far as my accuracy, I think it works for me on this gun, but I didnt take any long shots so I didnt really get the full effect.

i like to spear fish

• Hello Cowboy,

I've had that same gun for 7 years now and I've tried many configurations with it.

I have taken more (and bigger) fish with that gun than with any other I have / had.

I'll tell you what had worked for me.

The best combination I tried was a 7 mm x 130 cm shaft with very short 20 mm bands (one). It was a little heavy thoguh but still easy to handle.

I also tried 6.5 shaft with more "proggressive" 19 mm bands and it was ok and better balanced.

I think that maybe the most this gun could handle without making the mech hard could be 2 x 5/8" or 16 mm bands + 7 mm x 140 cm shaft.

With a 8 mm shaft that gun will kick like a mule. With more than 2 x 16 mm bands the trigger will become hard. I´ve tried 1 x 19 mm + 1 x 16 mm and the trigger was very hard.

Every gun is made for what is made. This one is very good for close range shots. The only fish that gave me some troubles were big cuberas, where the shaft rebounded a couple of times. Out of that a great gun. Even for wahoos, big kings and dorados.

I almost don't use it any more, but have very good memories (and pictures) of fish caught with that gun.

Maybe some time I'll post them here.

PS: This speargun is obsolete in Europe and you can find it for less that 100 US$ in Italy.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Fuzz i am after power. i wont shoot anything 2-3lbs. i use fish that big for bait! lol i do understand what your saying about recoil with a lighter gun. ive got 3 metal guns, the omer 110s carbon, Mako 120 pro oceanic coming, and hopefully soon ill be able to get a great wood gun. i like the wong, but Steve at Poseidonsub and Hamilton spearguns are true works of art. Ill get one of these great wood guns as soon as i can make up my mind. they are all great powerhorses. thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it!

With a single 20mm band, you should have plenty of power to kill fish upwards of 30 pounds, with proper shot placement. Guns with more mass recoil less, and railguns are very light, so if you overpower them, they tend to have lots of recoil, which effects accuracy.

• Dan, you say that you over powered your riffe with 3 5/8 inch bands? i dont understand that. My JBL Extra heavy duty 53" has 3 5/8 bands and shoots very accurate and not that much recoil, And i beleive your Riffe is a lot heavier gun than mine being that its wood. which riffe do you have?

• General rules aside, his Omer T-20 is a simple pipe gun with no rail. If you used 3 5/8" bands & 9/32" shaft on that gun as-is... I'd guarantee your accuracy would be shit. You'd have the inaccuracy trinity - barrel flex, muzzle flip, and bucking)

fuzz the t20 has no rail? does that mean the spear is held at the mech and muzzle only?, like on older jbls?

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• its a carbon gun open muzzle no rail. it was designed that way and heres why. supposed to be very accurate. this is a quote about rail guns under pressure. ". Another train of thought says a shaft guide or rail has no advantage since the shaft rests between the muzzle and the handle alignment. Basically, if there were any barrel flex (under heavy band load load) the shaft resting in between two points would have a tendency to shoot more accurately than a gun with a rail. The shaft in a rail takes the shape of the barrel if there is any minimal amount of flex. Additionally, the absence of any friction between spear shaft and rail makes the gun quiet, wasting less energy since the bands are parallel with the shaft". Theres so much to learn and trial and error. It can be confusing and is different from gun to gun. But one things for sure, spearfishing sure gets you pumped up and damn aint it fun! lol

Edited once, last by loneranger ().

• They sell an adhesive rail for them.

Omer has a nice one that's already at the correct height. Track is nice & tight & works well since it's made for it.

JBL makes a readily available one; however, there are 2 nuances. The bottom is a pull & stick adhesive... which comes off after time. The track is also a bit wide since they manufacture it to fit even their widest shafts (3/8"). Nevertheless, I've used this one quite a bit & have it adhered to my T-20 with some 3m double-sided tape.

DW/Aimrite used to make tracks that came in a large roll. Great for customizing lengths when pimping your guns. Since he only needs it for the front half of hybrids... they've gone to just ordering cut segments.