Rob Allen reel review and compatability

• never seen a rob allen reel, only in pics. cant figure out how the mount is built. to me it looks that the
    holding part have to be screwed into the barrel ? would oubviously only work with foamfilled barrel.
    would it be possible to mount this reel safe onto a riffe ?

• The Rob Allen reel mounting bracket has 2 screw holes. The round profile of the mounting bracket is a good fit for most pipe guns, as you mentioned you'll something on the inside of the barrel like a Delrin dowel to anchor the screws into. You can use a belt sander to easily flatten the round profile of the mounting bracket, allowing attachment to a wood gun with a flat bottom profile like the Riffe Euro.

Best price for the Rob Allen Vecta composite reel is from www.FreediveStore.com. You can get it spooled with line and international shipping is available.

• i have seen some good reviews on the rob allen reel as well. the only reels ive used are the metal jbl reels.
    worked pretty well for me,price is ok too but are a bit heavy, specially since i had to switch from my competitor 4x to the comp.3x, the gun gun sinks heavy. my wrist goes through some pressure! they last me between 6-10 month intensive use and little mantainance.

• I have both the Riffe real on my Riffe Euro and a Rob Allen composite on my deathstick, the Riffe real is very nice and I agree the drag system is much better as far as ease and also quick to set when in need, that said my Rob Allen is also good reel, but, setting drag is not as good, it has the small turn wheel to set and sometimes becomes too loose and needs adjustments sometimes. Riffe reel is expensive but well built, easy to use, holds plenty of line and drag system is great...also fits obviously a Riffe Euro perfectly.

Rob Allen's fit though.

• 2 screws are needed. Wood guns are very versatile when mounting reels, not like pipe guns. Looks like the rob allen would fit well.

Davie Peguero

• 2 screws are needed. Wood guns are very versatile when mounting reels, not like pipe guns. Looks like the rob allen would fit well.

it look so on that picture above. but i am not sure, is that reel made of metal/stainless ?
    and the mounting part dont look like the original one, so i figure that is custombuilt.
    from what i can see on the following pic, the reel is made of plastic, and the mounting part is to be screwed onto the barrel with two srews( wich will obviously only work with foamfilled barrels ?) and the reel will just slip onto that mounting part without any further srews or pins etc. my question is : would it be able to srew that mounting part onto a riffe comp, maybe with some slight grinding to fit, and hold up tight ?
    hope my english is good enuff to explain what i really mean.

• "and the reel will just slip onto that mounting part without any further srews or pins etc. my question is : would it be able to srew that mounting part onto a riffe comp, maybe with some slight grinding to fit, and hold up tight ?"

Yes Tinu it can work like that, I have that exact reel in the above photo, it is a Rob Allen composite and it goes on my Deathstick. Ken who makes Deathstick did a custom job for me were he takes the small mounting piece (which is on the bottom left of your photo) and sanded the piece flat were the 2 screws are, then mounted that piece onto my gun. I can now simply slide on and off my reel, very handy.

• For mounting reels in RA guns. They are not foam filled, but the plug is set ahead enoguh that you can screw the bolts without compromising bouyancy. Of course, you can screw them in a wooden barrel as Riffe.

Riffe "new" reel is Mares/Spora "old" reel. Drag in a reel (FOR ME) is not that important. A reel is a "line storage device". You drag /put pressure with your hands and retrieve with your hands. The only important thing about drags is that they fully open when a fish pulls and stay tight enough when you load and set the line.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Drag in a reel (FOR ME) is not that important. A reel is a "line storage device". You drag /put pressure with your hands and retrieve with your hands. The only important thing about drags is that they fully open when a fish pulls and stay tight enough when you load and set the line.

I agree 100% with Marco.
    Until the new Speardiver composite reels become available I will continue to use my RA composite reel. The RA composite reel has worked GREAT for me for over 250 days of spearin in the last 1 1/2 years. I have used the SAME reel on both Riffe Euro 120 and RA 120 guns. I now use the SAME RA reel on my ETPG. :D
    Hope this helps

• black1--yes I liked the Riffe Euro 120.
    But I like pipe guns WAY better now.
    I have been shooting my prototype Tin Man/hau 120 ETPG since Jan. 2010 and LOVE it.
    My next gun will be the new Mako ETPG as soon as I can get my hands on one :thumbsup2:
    Just my personal opinion.
    Hope this helps :toast:

• black1---I'm a tinker.
    1. I cannot leave anything alone. I buy a gun an want to change the muzzle. Or I want to change the grip. Or I want to change something. Pipe guns are much easier to tinker with.
    2. Pipe guns give me a much better sight picture than a flat top gun barrel with the bands piled up on top of a wooden barrel.
    3. The Euro is already wide WITHOUT the bands. WITH the bands stretched the Euro is way to wide for my liking.
    4. I am now sold 100% on enclosed track guns. The Euro is not an enclosed track gun. The only Riffe gun with an enclosed track is the Riffe Metal Tech with the optional enclosed track.

In less than a week you'll be able to hold and inspect the new Mako ETPG at the Blue Wild :thumbsup2:

tinu---I am sorry for the derail

• IMO having an enclosed track on a pipe gun does not offer an advantage in accuracy as compared to an open track pipe gun. Enclosed track for accuracy is for wood guns with a lot of band power and the mass to handle it.

The advantage of an enclosed track on a pipe gun is ease of loading, as you eliminate time spent trying to keep the shaft on the raised track until it engages the mech and the line is wrapped. However this problem is solved by incorporating a recessed track into the pipe as opposed to a raised one, such as with the new Speardiver speargun.

The advantages of the open track gun in this case are that the cheaper notched shafts can still be used, and the shooting line can be connected either to the back of the shaft (going inside the housing) eliminating the toggle effect for safe shooting deep into holes, or to a hole in front of the notches. The enclosed track pipe gun must use a shaft with a round notch and full size sharkfin tabs. Another advantage is that on close up shots where the shaft doesn't clear the track, such as when shooting into a hole, there is no risk of damage to the track.

hau's enclosed track pipe gun is very well made and unique.

3. The Euro is already wide WITHOUT the bands. WITH the bands stretched the Euro is way to wide for my liking.

I agree with this.

• I agree 100% with Marco.
    Until the new Pursuit reels become available I will continue to use my RA composite reel. The RA composite reel has worked GREAT for me for over 250 days of spearin in the last 1 1/2 years. I have used the SAME reel on both Riffe Euro 120 and RA 120 guns. I now use the SAME RA reel on my ETPG. :D
    Hope this helps

i finally got two rob allen reels. one on my riffe and one for my orca gun.
    it works fine. but when i took it apart after TWO WEEKS IN use, it didnt make me too happy what happen two one of them. idont know if anyone had that same results ? dont think that should be normal, even after two intensive weeks of use.
    i had to insert an stainless steel washer , otherwise the dragknob would touchdown on the reel,and now after one more week, it sure looks worse. but the second one works fine.