kayak battery holder welder

• Spearos--I need someone that can weld SS to make a battery holder for me.
    I just bought a Hummingbird 385ci FF/GPS.
    It is designed and advertised as "Kayak Combo"
    It uses a small sealed battery that is 6"long, 3 1/2"high by 2 1/2"front to back and is 5lbs or so.
    I want to mount this battery on my yak inside the hull.
    Is there anyone that I can pay to make this battery holder for me?
    Or does anyone have a better idea?
    Thanks in advance

• I would suggest to find a "Plastic Fabricator" in South Florida and make the holder in Polyethilene. Lighter and much more durable. Should be cheaper also.

http://www.google.com.pr/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SKPB_enPR334PR334&q=florida+plastic+fabricator

Or use your local yellow pages.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I used to put in a garbage bag wraped 2 or 3 times never had problems. I've seen other use a regular dry bag.

I kept it in place as forward in the yak as possible. I cut a pull noodle and glued it to the inside bottom sideways like a boat stringer to make a "semi-compartment".

However I'm sure you can get a tupperware container that will fit the battery. Cut a hole and pass the cables in through the side and seal the hole with cables in it with silicone.

Davie Peguero

• my dad can weld stainless if you decide to go that route. let me know if you want to go that route and ill talk to him. he can also do aluminum if you want to save some weight.

• Hau, I have the same battery and the best thing to do is get a tupperware as Davie suggested and then get a marine quick disconnect terminal...make the tupperware sealed and secure it inside the yak using either bungees or velcro.

I rigged mine with bungees and wished I had gone with velcro...not much force is put on the box to move around so you just need to secure it minimally.

i like to spear fish

• my dad can weld stainless if you decide to go that route. let me know if you want to go that route and ill talk to him. he can also do aluminum if you want to save some weight.

Mike, does your dad fabricate tubes/frames for boats? Or know someone in Ft Lauderdale that does?

• mrmike---thank you sir.:toast:
    That may be exactly what I am looking for.
    Can your dad spot weld a small pin to the top of my SS spear also?
    I can pay cash for any fabrication
    I'll get back to you in the next day or so.
    Again thank you

Again thank you

did your rest tab fail again?

i like to spear fish

• LunkerBuster---the rest tab pin is good, but without a mig welder I cannot keep the rest pin in the hole. I've tried many different epoxies and glues. All have failed. I'm gonna try Marine Tex next

• hau, putting a pin on the shaft is not difficult, now that you're using a stainless steel shaft that can be drilled. All you do is drill a hole with very tight tolerance for the pin you're going to use, and hammer it in there.

Again thank you

we dont have a spot welder but he can tack it(which sounds like what your talking about), just fyi he tig welds. I will try to talk to him and see if/when he could do it. also do you need the battery box fabbed up or will you do the fab work and hell just have to weld it? only reason i ask is because he doesnt have lots of spare time.

• hau, that screams for a LOT of dielectric grease as it will be a MAGNET for corrosion and oxidization as it is...i would grease and seal it in a tupperware with some moisture barrier. and reapply the dielectirc every trip... I have a good srpay that is a mild solvent so it keeps the salt and sediment from sticking...I wipe the terminals after every use and before

EDIT- the unit looks slick as hell by the way!!!!!
    :@ fish R gonna die

i like to spear fish

• hau, get one of these Pelican protector micro cases from Bass pro for $15 http://www.basspro.com/webapp/…1_100935____SearchResults Clear is good because you'll be able to see if there's any water intrusion. Drill a small hole for the cable and make a knot in it on the inside of the case so there will be no movement if there are any tugs on the cable. Use Aquaseal on the inside and outside at the hole to seal it. Just avoid opening it while you're on the water and you won't have any rusting problems. That's the setup I used for the battery pack on my yak.

• very good suggestions....take note Hau, as I know you do:)

I might even get a marine quick connect and have that on the outside of the dry box, then you are golden and it is easy to take out and service

i like to spear fish

• spearos--thanks for all the help and suggestions :toast2:
    I went to Bass Pro, but bought one of those roll up see-through dry bags instead.
    Now my whole FF/GPS AND battery pack is nice and dry inside the dry pack and I can operate/read the FF without opening the dry pack once I plug the transponder wire in (I plug the FF in before I put the yak in the water) :thumbsup2:

Used my 385ci FF again today and LOVE it.
    It tells me where I am. Where the reef is. Where there are fish and much, much more. :yay:
    It even tells me how much battery is left :cool2: