Some cool gear from MARES

• so I grabbed one of their full product books at the Blue Wild and have been slowly flipping through it on the toilet:D

I came across a few things that I thought were worth sharing...most notably is the first picture which is basically an inline band adapter for guns with band holes...I dont know how it installs, so I don't know how compatible it is with different guns and muzzles, but having been using inline bands for a few dives, I really like it.

I also found some images of their wishbone inserts which appealed to me because they appear to accept the speed reload replaceable wishbones.

I also included an image of their quick release weights (they do not look like they work for a Marsailles belt, but have some cool technology and their stringer holder which also looks geared to scuba belts, but appears to be a pretty cool little idea too.

I know that they are still owned by AMF but everything is still made in Italy and the stuff looked well made at the expo....just thought I 'd share

• Those quick release weights are expensive.I've seen some from an other brand at around $30 each.

The band adapter is for their phantom spearguns. Seeing as the gun sucks with or without it I can't really comment on its effectiveniess.

Davie Peguero

• hahaha, good insights Davie...I have limited experience with the brand but for a mask (star elite)

the double band optional (which is what they call the inline adapter) is apparently available for a lot of their guns, based on the product catalog

i like to spear fish

• I know right, they look pretty badass

part number is 423911..they have like ten websites(they all suck)..the one i found the pics on was "mares, pure instinct"

i didnt see any prices, but no one else online has even heard of any of this gear when I was searching for pics, os either they are new, super overpriced, or both :D

i like to spear fish

• The stringer looks pretty similar to my omer one, I like it because you put the holder over the weight and run the belt through it and the weight and it stays inplace. It fits on my RA belt fine.

Mares seams to be marketing more towards freedivers, so in theory their stringer should fit on a marsallies belt

that is interesting...so you have a RA marsailles belt and the stringer holder (or something similar) works?

I agree that they are shifting their focus to freediving which is nice....we deserve a bigger share of the market

i like to spear fish

• I don't know why you guys are so excited about that POS folded wire with a ball. Here are the new Pursuit wishbone inserts, stainless steel, super light, the holes are completely smooth/deburred, and the length is perfect. You don't even need a tool to get them into the band, just lubricate with spit and push in. The wishbone end of the ball is flat so it will never pull out. Other wishbone inserts look very nice in pictures but in real life are too/unnecessarily bulky. The Pursuit guns will have these wishbone inserts as standard rigging.

• i think those are tight too...I like the loop knot, most likely just because it is what I am familiar with, but also because i can use it so easily with gloves on and under water...i preburn the ends to make little bulges and i stick on into my rashguard or wetsuit top...with the small holes on those, only an unburned piece of wishbone will be able to pass through and I would be concerned that an un burned piece of dyneema would slip out of the simple square knot in the picture. basically i would need a lighter to replace the wishbone and that is impossible on a shore dive and inconvenient to impossible on a kayak.

I would surely try them and i imagine it is not an issue often, in fact I am fairly sure i'll end up buying yours first because 1)you are my friend and I love to support a great company and 2) i have never seen any of this MARES gear for sale :D

i like to spear fish

• I don't know why you guys are so excited about that POS folded wire with a ball. Here are the new Pursuit wishbone inserts, stainless steel, super light, the holes are completely smooth/deburred, and the length is perfect. You don't even need a tool to get them into the band, just lubricate with spit and push in. The wishbone end of the ball is flat so it will never pull out. Other wishbone inserts look very nice in pictures but in real life are too/unnecessarily bulky. The Pursuit guns will have these wishbone inserts as standard rigging.

I don't like all that extra weight. Those wire ones are super light.

• all of this is assumption from me, having never actually held either, but the large ball in the MARES one looks like it would seal the band behind that point.

i like to spear fish

• LOL really? did you weigh both of them?

Not being round with a space in between the wires, how does the band seal around the mares wishbones?

LOL really....Do you really need to weigh them to tell one is lighter than the other? Unless you have magic stainless steel. You could say yours is much stronger and durable but not lighter.

• Yes I really do. I don't know how you can magically infer that the mares are lighter, without even having a point of reference in the pic. In any case my mention of the Pursuit inserts being lighter than others on the market, where I believe there's a significant weight difference, had to do with this kind of insert not the mares.

Looking at the pic of the mares stuff I get the feeling it's made to be good for eyes more than having any utilitarian value. Just my opinion..

• Plastic weighs a lot less than stainless steel and the wire is pretty thin to keep the weight down. I have a pair of them and they are as light as a feather.

• Jeff, I think that has very little impact, the line will need to turn 90 either at the entrance to the metal or once inside the metal piece, and in both cases the bulk of the force will be 90degrees against the metal...that is where the deburring is key.

Harry, do you use the loop knot or the insert and tie a square knot method?

i like to spear fish