FL spearing trip

• I made my way down to the FL west coast for the holiday weekend. We were blessed by gorgeous weather and flat seas...initially.

It was nice to finally be back in the water after having been out for 5 months because of the federal closure. I got quite a chuckle as I was driving down and heard on the radio that portions of the gulf had re-opened, ON THE DAY I HEAD OUT OF STATE TO DO SOME SPEARFISHING:laughing3:

It was nice getting to dive some clean warm water and get a few fish that I had never speared before. I think rainbow runner and spanish mackeral are now in my top 10 favorites, for eating.

The high-lite of the trip for me was seeing the Goliaths in action. I couldn't believe the size of those things:@

It seems that almost every fish shot on our first spot of the second day, was immediately inhaled! I managed to keep one from getting swallowed, but it wasn't for lack of them trying. I couldn't believe the size of the one that tried to eat this AJ. It was like watching a Volkwagen rocket off the bottom and came straight up "Jaws" style and tried to grab this guy. The marks on the lower part of the fish are the outline of the jaw...

• Thanks Dave. I'm glad we can get back out as well.

We also managed a couple of cobia and a couple of decent grouper on the trip. I'll be eating well for a few weeks.

• Good to see and dive with you again my friend. Been too long! Thanks for the killer recipe :thumbsup2:

• John, it was good meeting and diving with you. And I predict by next time, you'll be sick of the Goliaths. :D

Yes, I can see how that would get old really fast.:D It was neat to see them though. Thier size is truly impressive. I had the same issues in California with the Black Seabass, although they were only half the size of the ones on the deep wreck; and not nearly so many occurences.

Nice to meet and dive with you as well. Looking forward to coming back in December.

• Nice fish. Did you get to use your new gun?

Well sort of, just not the new gun we built. I still don't have a shaft for the gun.

I bought a couple of Aimrites a while back and finally got to use them. Used the 130cm the whole trip. Nice gun, I like it.