9/24/08 Marathon Report

• Went diving for a couple of hours with 2 of my friends. Vis was awesome inshore, in 15-20ft of water you could make everything out and that was super inshore.

Wind was dead until that big storm hit us and then it got windy.

Only got 4 hogs and 7 or 8 lobster.

Friend said he saw a black close to 30 inches, but he spooked it when he shot a hog right next to his coral head.

Saw a few small groupers, blacks and reds, but nothing legal.

Sorry, No pictures because everyones seen hogs and lobster :D

• No, SporaScrub, I was more off Grassy Key.

And Seahunter49, Everyday I can. Usually 3 or 4 days a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

• How deep is the water you can get to on those days? I understand that in the keys you have to go a long way out to have 60fsw? Are there any drop offs/walls?

I stay down at MM66 (3 mile bridge) which is on the opposite side of Duck Key (close to Jeremy) and for 60fsw you have to head out (give or take) 4.5 nautical miles. From what I've heard before about Jeremy's post, he usually heads out in a 13ft to 20ft boat. If it's just abit windy this makes it hard to head out that far in a boat that big. From what i've seen off of the 3 mile bridge, the bottom really doesn't have drop offs or walls. The type of bottom i've seen from 50-80' looks similar to canalizo's, it's mostly a reef that has channels of sand 4-5' wide inbetween the reef, that run from the shore out (just a reference, north to south or vice versa)

Here's a video I remember seeing from virgili in cuba that reminded me of the bottom I'm trying to describe: http://www.spearfishingmotion.com/videos.html?category_id=37&subcategory_id=26&video_id=159&current_page=1

• Thanks Dan, I'm sure Jeremy will chime in and maybe he's seen different bottom structure (in 50-80') but these have been my personal experience from a nearby area.

That's Cuba my friend, you should know.

• The type of bottom i've seen from 50-80' looks similar to canalizo's, it's mostly a reef that has channels of sand 4-5' wide inbetween the reef, that run from the shore out (just a reference, north to south or vice versa)

Ahh yes, I love that bottom. Muttons seem to like it to:)

Thanks for the vid, Nice Careton!

• Ahh yes, I love that bottom. Muttons seem to like it to:)

Thanks for the vid, Nice Careton!

They sure do, and we were diving those spots late in the summer. Wait till we hit it up in April and May ;)

That is a nice alpha male hog, tell me that bottom doesn't look similar...now the viz is a whole different story :D

• Hubert, do you only dive from Duck key?

My old folks rent a lot at Outdoor Resort for five months (contract with lot owners) during the summer. We take our 33' travel trailer and this lot has a 40' dock, we keep the boat in the water to avoid the trailering hassle every time we get back from fishing. The resort is in Long Key but it's at the furthest (west) point of the key, which is closer to Duck Key. The contract was over on Sept. 7 and brought everything back home to Miami. I try and go off of Miami whenever possible but it's never as convenient or easy as when I'm down in the keys.

• The type of bottom i've seen from 50-80' looks similar to canalizo's, it's mostly a reef that has channels of sand 4-5' wide inbetween the reef, that run from the shore out (just a reference, north to south or vice versa)

Here's a video I remember seeing from virgili in cuba that reminded me of the bottom I'm trying to describe: http://www.spearfishingmotion.com/videos.html?category_id=37&subcategory_id=26&video_id=159&current_page=1

Yeah this is exactly how the deep spots I go to are.

But how deep I go all depends on which friends I go with. I usually like going from 30-50ft but if I go with my friends that arent comfortable at that depth I just go to spots from 10-20ft deep. Yesterday we were only about 10-15ft deep the whole time.