Dive report

• Dove North Lag today. Long walk, long swim. Get it? It was awesome. The water was really warm, and vis varied from 10 feet to 25 feet. Very little surf or surg. Tons of fish! I ran into lots of good sized calicos, some huge sand bass, a few halibuts, one really big sheep, shit loads of bait, barracudas, and of course that other thing that won't be discussed.

I managed to pull a halibut and 2 sand bass. Mike got 2 sand bass and a sargo. Yes, I out hunted Mike. :toast:

I found the hali in about 12 foot of water. I saw a bunch of smaller calicos all playing in the middle of this large sand patch. I dove done to investigate. When I hit the bottom, this hali was just sitting there. I backed up to take the shot. It was then that I realized I have never shot this gun before. I have no idea how it shots. I figure, hell, it is a Wong. Sure enough the shaft hit right where I wanted it to. The gun is super. I took the sand bass in the picture for a decent range. Nailed him right in the head. The other sandie went home with Mike to help feed the roommates.

Great dive! I hope the conditions hold.

Darren

• Sounds like you will be eating well! Sargo is one of my favorite fish to eat from California. Definitely better than seabass or halibut:toast:

• Mike took a sargo. This place had several schools of big sargo. I agree with John, sargo is good eating!

South Bound.

• Great report!

On a side note I have to ask, how the heck do you tell the difference between a sargo and a barred surf perch? I saw both today, but can't tell them apart and am itching to try this awesome sargo meat people talk about...

• Great report!

On a side note I have to ask, how the heck do you tell the difference between a sargo and a barred surf perch? I saw both today, but can't tell them apart and am itching to try this awesome sargo meat people talk about...

Surfperch do not get as large as sargo, so if you see one that's 2-3 lbs that's probably a sargo. Also the black vertical bar on the sargo's side is much more defined compared to the one surfperch that looks similar.

• Miguel it's not the barred surf perch that look like sargo, it's the pile perch. The bar on the pile perch is a bit farther back on the dorsal fin to anal fin. On the sargo it's further up. Sargo's have a fat head and look just like a rounder spotfin croaker. Unfortunately both the pile perch and sargo are in pretty much the same area.

• The pile perch look duller. Both the silver and the black stripe are not as vibrant as they are on a sargo. I also think that the pile perch has more of a fat mouth, like other perch.

South Bound.