New (to me) Dive watch

• For the past couple months I had been looking into cheap depth meters. My dad suggested some ancient technology he used to use where water in the gauge pushed a needle around...:crazy: anyway I came across an older timex helix depth model. I saw some mixed reviews, most bad reviews were that its huge and ugly, but I don't care what I look like underwater so that didn't mater to me. I decided to buy it off of ebay for $38, far cheaper than anything else I could find. It came in the mail today and sure enough its big and ugly. I'm going to go get a battery for it and ill test it in the pool later. Heres a picture:

• My wife got me one a few years ago for Christmas. The battery was dead when it arrived. Each time I replaced the battery and wore it, it died in minutes. It has not flooded. Just a waste of money. If anybody wants mine, they can have it. Hope it works out for you.

• My wife got me one a few years ago for Christmas. The battery was dead when it arrived. Each time I replaced the battery and wore it, it died in minutes. It has not flooded. Just a waste of money. If anybody wants mine, they can have it. Hope it works out for you.

My battery was dead when I got it, but its new old stock, I think they stopped making them in '06 so I expected that. I went to fast fix in the mall and it was $25 bucks for them to replace the battery and it has a 5 year warranty, if it dies within 5 years take it in and they replace it free of charge. I couldn't beat that.

LB I heard they had flooding problems too but only when a) the case was opened and improperly reinstalled (there is an o-ring inside) OR b) people played with the buttons underwater. Which in the manual it says specifically not to do.

• oh no!!! sucks man..sorry, I would suggest tyou put a side a little money each month and search all the forums and ebay for either a d3 or a f10 or a prowler, they are all solid watches and will last you a long time with care.

my prowler was used and I lucked into a sick deal on SB...just be vigilant and patient

i like to spear fish

• Update: contacted the original seller about the watch and since it was shipped to me with a dead battery he was nice enough to send me another one free. Dropped it into the pool tonight and its watertight and measured depth and temp accurately!!!!!!! WOOHOO! Now if I could just get it salty I'd be much happier

The original one is still being "repaired" unfortunately. I don't know why it's taking 2 weeks to dry out, but when I went by to check on it last week it was working. SO hopefully he can get it watertight and then I'll have a spare.