poke recipe

• In general I always bleed out my fish asap, I usually cut the gills first and when the blood is done pumping I cut out the heart, gills, kidney and other organs. If you can make a saltwater slurry in your cooler it works best, throw ice and salt water in it and soak the fish, it will be firmer than when you shot it when you get it to shore. Cut out all the red pieces of meat, that has the blood in it and gives it the fishy taste. I usually use this recipe for bonita, tuna, yellowtail and even white seabass when I don't have any of the other stuff above. If you are using seabass don't use the stomach portion, it has worms!

Oaks Poke Recipe

2 lbs tuna/bonita/yellowtail

1 teaspoon grated ginger
    1/2 whole garlic clove
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup oyster sauce
    2 tsp sesame oil

syrachia rooster sauce to taste
    1/2 cup of seaweed, I usually buy the green flat stringy stuff at the korean market
    6 green onions, diced
    1 small red onion, julienne cut

First combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and brown sugar and mix well. Then add the garlic, ginger and remix.

Add the fish cubes and stir well. Add ogo seaweed if you can find it, if you can't find any seaweed you can use furikake spice or even dried nori. Then add rooster sauce to taste. Finally add the green and red onions. Serve with a hot bed of white rice. I usually don’t like poke but man once I tweeked the recipe I love it this way.

• Dan, this post was a reply to the bonita talk on the california section, how about we keep it here for a week or so and then move it?

Fuzz that sounds like when you eat something you don't like and someone asks you about it and you say "it's interesting" ;)

• Fuzz that sounds like when you eat something you don't like and someone asks you about it and you say "it's interesting" ;)

I've been eating the stuff for 30years & I'm a foodie... so the flavor profiles you posted seem... original. :D

But seriously, whenever I make it down there, I'd love to try it. :)

• thank for the info it looks very good that makes me hungry hahahahah

que viva la pesca:cuba:

Que viva la pesca :cuba:

• Conventional Poke recipe is relatively simple. I usually just use Soy sauce and sesame oil with some green onions, Ogo, sesame seeds and hawaiian salt. Put my own twist on it and started adding in garlic, cliantro, chopped onions and some sriracha sauce for extra kick.

• Wow Chris that looks BOMB! I love making poke, seriously has to be the most amazing raw food dish out there. Been using the premade mixes and adding some onion but gonna have to give this recipe a try :thumbsup2: