Good for floatline?

• I found this on the Memphis Net & Twine site. It's used as the upper rope in some types of nets where its buoyancy helps to keep the net properly oriented. I know that many peoply just use plain polypropylene line, but I was just wondering if it might be nice as a spearfishing floatline.

The 3/8" diameter supports 0.9 oz per yard, and the 1/2" diameter supports 1.7 oz per yard. At around $0.11 per foot (for the 3/8"), it seems like an economical and robust alternative to the "spectra within a pvc tube" construction. End connections would be easy, since there is no need to maintain a watertight tube connection, and it probably stays more flexible in cold weather.

Anyone tried it?

• Nice find! Thank you very much for sharing it. Looks like a nylon sheath with a foam core? If so you basically found the Rob Allen foam core float line. 120' of it sell for $55. I use the normal polypropylene line but I also always bring along the foam core line for situations where more comfortable handling of the float line is required; like assisting a diver up. Being thicker it's much easier on the hands but it doesn't spool as compact as the polypropylene.

RA foam core float line.

• I know RA comes in both colors but basically they are the same thing. Real easy to braid on swivels and clips. I made a 60' and a 40' floatline from a 100' line.

I've looked it up and I think you have to buy a whole spool (600') so that pretty much defeated the purpose of making one myself.

Davie Peguero

• it creates knots or bird's nests that you have to undo. Exactly, the good thing is that it floats, might

be very good for "cordelero", but not for frequent reef fishing in 20-70'.

• Alan, I never had that happen with any float line in the water, straight polypropylene or foam core. It does happen to me sometimes on the boat setting up for a dive after having coiled it on the deck and left it there. I can't imagine a point where it could happen other than when you're working a fish and bringing it up hand over hand. In this situation you must keep swimming away from the coils.

I probably handle the float line in a way that is more conducive to getting knots. I spool it after every ascent and let it loose before every descent. Still no tangles. I find the foam core to be stiffer than the straight polypropylene and even less prone to tangles. Take a closer look at what you were doing just before you get tangles.

• 1/2 is probably too thick. With my gun the line will float the gun if the depth is over 35, so I cant leave it on the bottom to mark a spot.

Davie Peguero

• flfreedivers says the RA is 3/8.

Measure the width and the thickness, add the two, multiply by .6366.

Davie Peguero

• Wrap a string around it. Measure the length of the string, and divide by 3.14 to get diameter. For a more accurate measurement, wrap the string around several times and divide the length by 3.14, and then divide again by the number of string wraps.

• Breaking strength? 300' for $33 is a hell of a deal.

• I saw a 1500lb number beside the 3/8 but it seems high. I'm sure it's strong enough for any fish you'll find out there. The cheapest price I found is $25 for 300' 3/8" unspecified color and $32 for the Black/green.

Since I would use this line only with a cordelero it means that we'll be going deep. I find that to reduce drag from the float the line should be 30' longer than the depth you plan to go although this is negligible if the top guy is feeding you the rope. Still it's good to have some extra line. Since I never want to go deeper than 90' the length of float line I require will be 120'. So I can make two out of 300', 60' will go to waste. It's better to get 600' then I can make exactly 5 float lines.