New gun - shaft/wishbone question

• here is a terrible paint diagram of how to tie that knot...the blue is the loop, the red is the wishbone and the last pic, the green shows where to pull the end through...very very simple knot..i like to burn the ends of the wishbone so they form little balls, that redices the ability to slip to just about zero

• it works like a charm actually... i have a few stories like Marco's where i was able to change a wishbone or whole band in the water in no time...I keep about 3 extra wishbones in my dry bag and one tied in a square knot to my float line.

i like to spear fish

• Sorry to revive this thread, but I have a question about the sheet bend. Everything I've seen says that if the two lines being joined are of a different size, the end with the simple loop has to be thicker. Does anybody have any experience doing it the other way around - i.e. the loop is of a thinner cord material, and the wishbone is thicker? Just trying to think of a couple of combinations.

• Does anybody have any experience doing it the other way around - i.e. the loop is of a thinner cord material, and the wishbone is thicker?

I don't recall what size dacron I used in this picture, but the loop is 600 lb. spectra. The dacron wishbone is about 2X the thickness of the spectra. I got the materials from Phil H., maybe he'll chime in.

• Does anybody have any experience doing it the other way around - i.e. the loop is of a thinner cord material, and the wishbone is thicker?

That's the way I used to do it and it works fine. Loop 1.8mm, wishbone 3mm. If you think about it the loop has to be of thin diameter, because it's doubled up and tied in a knot which is inserted into the band. If the line was any thicker the knot would be too big to insert.

• Great - thanks Rich and Dan. That's what I wanted to know. Now that I'm using shark fin tabs I figured I might try a thicker wishbone, but I don't want to increase the size of the knot.