Sea Sniper Guns

• It's a sweet gun... Enclosed track available and they come with mori shafts. Last time I went to scubas world they had both the enclosed track reef pro and the "regular" reef model and they are unbelievably good looking. I haven't shot one but they look like a better Riffe euro, like you said.
    I want one....

• Those sea snipers are probably the best spearguns evermade. Beautiful, innovative and judging for the general input about them, quite effective. See, the reef and reef pro have way better features than other spearguns in the same price range. The pro and customs are in a league of their own ...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• The reef series I saw at the store weren't so bad, about Riffe size between competitor and standard. But I know what you mean and I agree. The moment you start to put those useless contours on the guns you make them bulky for no good reason. I believe in the thinnest possible profile to hold the band load and manage recoil and an ergonomic handle as close to the plane of the spear as possible. A simple schtick is what I like.

• Agree, but the bigger models are intended to chase huge pelagics, hence the need for mass. They look great. But the reef pro and reef are the spearguns that would suit my needs around here. I really doubt that they would outperform any of my riffes though. The rationale is that the comps and standards are quite accurate, manuverable and easy to maintain, not to mention powerful. They shoot certainly better than any wong gun that i had previously owned. I think the issue is controversial but not for me, Riffes are far better guns than Wongs hands down, i had owned three different wongs and 6 diferent Riffes as well. (Not to mention Pelaj and sporasub :rolleyes1:) so if the Sea sniper would perform better than Riffes, is not for much, cause perfection has some limits and Riffes are pretty damn close to the edge. Both Wongs and Sea snipers are prettier than riffes though. (and even more expensive)

• An enclosed track is a great feature, but is not entirely necessary. A reef gun performs better without it Imo. Look, "enclosed track prevents shaft whip" ...With just two 5/8´s bands you don´t have any noticeable shaft whip. If you want to power up the gun, then the enclosed track is useless, because, prevents shaft whip, but not recoil. Recoil means loss of accuracy, so What´s the point? you will have a gun that will be hitting low if overpowered nevertheless . (Just as Magnum Hybrids with 3 5/8´s that kick as a mule and can´t hit shit that way) Enclosed track + enough mass = great accuracy with no recoil, but is a pain in the ass to dive with, unless you are in open water.. And so on...

• I disagree.

I have an enclosed track hybrid that I shoot all the time with 4 - 5/8" bands using a 5/16" shaft. It shoots like a dream. I took 3 wahoo with the first 3 trigger pulls. A friend who had never used it before was shooting cudas for chum when a small yellowfin came zipping through between him and the rig. The fish was about 20 feet away. He spun the gun and pulled the trigger hitting the fish mid body. My point is you don't have to "learn" to shoot accurately with this gun. I attribute much of it to the fully enlcosed track, which also has the added advantage of bringing the plane of the shaft down closer to the handle. This reduces the vertical component of the recoil, enhancing the accuracy.

In addition, the enclosed track is very nice if you ever want to freeshaft with the gun. Growing up in the Keys, we did it all the time, while freediving in shallow water.

• I like enclosed track because it makes the gun simpler. You eliminate the shooting line routing plate or pin, routing the shooting line is a little simpler, the spear can't fall out of the track while loading. One problem that we run into with the enclosed track that is probably the opposite to what you experience Gris, on close shots the spear doesn't leave the track completely and can damage it.

I can't comment on the higher band power rigs because I never used them. But for two 5/8 bands IMO the enclosed track doesn't do much for accuracy. It's about the little details that I mentioned that make the gun more comfortable to use overall.

I've never thought about the point Gris made about bringing the shaft lower and closer to the grip, I do consider that an advantage. I will continue making my spearguns with enclosed track.

• I disagree.

I have an enclosed track hybrid that I shoot all the time with 4 - 5/8" bands using a 5/16" shaft. It shoots like a dream.

That´s why i mentioned that enclosed track with proper mass is a great feature. I was discussing the usefulness of an enclosed track for a 2 band gun. (In reef guns) I think a reef gun should be open track cause you may damage the track due to the leverage of the shaft in a cave. A multibanded open water gun is another story, the enclosed track is a great feature to have.

• You are right about the ballast.

I like to add just enough lead so that the gun will just float with the shaft out (with a reel added if appropriate). To me that's a no brainer - there's no way around F=MA. In dealing with recoil more mass is your friend.

I don't disagree about the open track for shooting under rocks.

• What's the dimension of the stock for the euro x 110 cm? Is there a formula as to how much larger(L x W) the stock should be as you increase power(band)