First speargun advice for 13 yr.old

• Hello,

I have some experience in this area as I have 2 sons that I have taught to spearfish. I started them with the pole spear, but they were both using guns by the time they were 12. My best advice is to get somthing around 48", 2 band that is easy to load. I started them with the same old 48" undersee pipe gun that I used 30 yrs ago. It has a long extension on the butt that allows hip loading. AB Biller makes a stainless pipe gun that is very similar to it, and is in the price range that you are looking for. Both of my boys are older now, and they use chest load rail guns, euro guns, teak guns, and whatever they can talk me into buying for them, or borrow from my collection. You will hear a lot of opinions about what is the best, I have my favorites also. But, I would start out simple and reasonably priced, and go from there as your experience grows. The biggest fish that I ever killed was with a 2 band voit swim master.

• Ok, so I decided that I'm going to get a pole spear to start. Now which spear tip would you recommend me to get??

• Hey GeoKat,
    I would highly recommend a Hammerhead Evolution 90cm.
    It is deadly accurate and easy to load. It is a good investment, you wont need another gun for the reef unless you lose this one.
    Hope this helps

• Why don't you just get one the Pursuit spearguns, any rail gun should not be a problem to load with a comfortable technique. You can get 14 mm bands to start with if you can't pull 16mm.

• Get the yellow fiberglass pole for $30.00 and some lobster gloves. When you load it twist so the band twists around the pole. I started with a 5ft 3 prong and that setup will DESTROY snapper and hogfish up to 10#. You may want to get the model with a detachable tip so you can add a single flopper style tip. I use a single rotten band and a 130 cm railgun to kill most of my fish. I started with the polespear which gave me the stalking skills to get rediculously close to the fish for an effortless kill.