Best speargun coating / finish ?

• Is UV protection in the epoxy for the epoxy or for the wood?

its for the epoxy . west is not uv stable ,it will yellow but this is more for outdoor use like boats unless you store your gun outside in the sun 365 days a year. its not that big of a deal for most peoples guns the uv exposure is intermittent at best
    phil

• Phil do you hang your guns when your coating them or do you use a rolling device like Don Paul described?

Also how so you seal the trigger pocket and other tight places on the gun? I have some very tight clearance problems and it would be difficult to make them any wider. Would penetrating epoxy be effective in theses spots?

• I think one question that needs to be asked is do you want this to be a utilitarian gun or a showpiece? That makes a big differnce. If it's like my guns - which are simply tools - then just slap on some spray poly and kill fish. If it gets too banged up, sand and spray again.

• Yeah, that was a while ago! The whole penetrating epoxy thing was great, but it was a bit labour intensive. I was into that sort of thing then, especially since I was using woods that were quite good looking and wanted to get a durable, protecting finish. I've really changed my approach to guns over the last two years, focusing a lot less on the aesthetics. I find that spray poly gives a good finish and can be re-applied if necessary, although I havne't found the need to do so. I mostly use a 3-prong now unless I'm doing competitions, then I break out the RA. My woodies are almost idle except the occasional lending to a friend.

• I think one question that needs to be asked is do you want this to be a utilitarian gun or a showpiece? That makes a big differnce. If it's like my guns - which are simply tools - then just slap on some spray poly and kill fish. If it gets too banged up, sand and spray again.

i think epoxy is as utilitarian as you can get ,i tell everyone that i build for that i will refinish there gun every couple years for free (they cover shipping or get it to me somehow) i haven't gotten one back yet ,in 6 years of doing this as a pro ,and i have around at least 300 + guns out there, 2 have been dropped off boats in the parking lot and those guys just put a drop of resin on the dent and called it good. i have never worn threw the finish or refinished any of my guns ether unless i was modifying them ,this includes my loaner guns . there is no reason something cant look good and be tuff and durable. i dive around 75 -100 days a year and 95% of that is shore dives on the rocky nor can central cal coast so my gear is in the rocks all the time
    phil

• Some of Kolt's past creations just so everyone can appreciate the change. Went to New Zealand thinking he's going to convert the natives, instead they converted him :D Don't worry buddy I'm not stalking you, takes 5 minutes to go on SB and find your gun threads.

• Phil, can your epoxy be thinned with Xylene to make penetrating epoxy? If so what would be the advantage of making it with yours rather than West?

i wouldn't add it to any resin you get the same proformance by just warming the resin to lower viscosity ,that way you still have a strong cured resin ,if you want to see proof of this just let a 1/2" of each cure in a cup for a week or so the stock epoxy will be strong and fully cured ,the thinned one will be sticky and gummy and even a year or two later if you sand into you will be able to smell the thinner you used that was still trapped inside .you would do better served on your guns by just putting on 2 or 3 very thin warmed resin coats (brushed on ,then wiped off) then a scotch brite job so its matte like you like it than using thinned resin
    phil

• Thanks Phil, I may try that. What's the best way to warm it, microwave? Although I haven't seen any of the problems you mentioned with my guns. The penetrating epoxy doesn't cure in a container but it cures pretty fast on the wood.

• Here is a gun that has been though hell since 1984 with 205 West systems, I find 5 coats takes a beating.
    This is a shot before I used Phil's to reseal some coral wear when gun was lost on the sea bottom.

Phil's stuff is a is easy to use if one follows the directions.

Cheers, Don

• Thanks Phil, I may try that. What's the best way to warm it, microwave? Although I haven't seen any of the problems you mentioned with my guns. The penetrating epoxy doesn't cure in a container but it cures pretty fast on the wood.

just put the containers in 90deg water or in a warm car until it warms up ,all the manufacturers say not to warm in the sun . thined cures faster on the wood because the surface can evaporate but once the surface skins over whats down in the pores is locked in , thinners really inhibit curing .

one thing to remember about what i say is :when i recommend how to ,or what to use its coming from someone that is trying to do the best possible job so i never have to see the gun again unless i go diving with the guy ,the last thing i ever want to hear is that some part failed on the other side of the world on a once in a lifetime trip . other products and ways of doing things work well enuff or might be ezer to use ,and are totally fine if the gun is for yourself .its the best end product im after and im always trying new stuff
    phil

• Good point Phil - I haven't refinished any of my expoy guns either!

Dan, you're absolutely right - I thought what a bunch of unenlightened neanderthals, but ended up becoming one!! It's a good place to be :D

• A microwave wont work. Microwaves produce a frequency that energizes water, fat and sugar molecules in food so it wont heat the resin..

I would use a warming plate but I dont know how hot I should warm it. I have also heard that it is better to mix each part prior to mixing instead of after they have been mixed to prolong work time. Another way you could do it would be to heat up hot water then place the containers in the water but I dont know if thats a good idea but it would work.

• Phil,

Do you have to sand with 600 grit, 1200grit etc for the finish on your guns or does it come up good enough with thin coats.

I tried getting some here, it is near impossible and will cost too much so is there anything else you can recommend.

• Reviving a thread here!

I'm going to epoxy coat a couple spearguns, but I'm not sure of the best way. I was just planning on hanging it and then using a foam brush around, but I came across "rotisserie" and am curious.

Can anyone explain the benefit of it or if there's anything I need to do.